ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

corner pin to mask bounderies (not comp size)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bucko Zwartz
corner pin to mask bounderies (not comp size)
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:01:01 pm

Hello everybody,

Me and my group are working on a project where we are using 2 projectors to fill a room with our movies specially made for this (video mapping).

But we came across a problem that we haven't fixed.

When we are projecting a circle, it's not everywhere a circle, its getting squashed and bulged all over the place.

And when we are projecting on just 1 wall, we can fx that by cornerpinning the whole comp untill the circle is every round again.

But when we are aiming at a floor, and 2 walls at the same time, it means we have to corner pin 3 times to get the circle everywhere round again. And if we animate the circle, going from the floor to the wall, the circle can't be cut in half while crossing the border.

We tried to get this by cornerpinning, but the corner pin always starts at comp size, not mask size. Is it possible that the corner pin starts at mask size, not at comp size?

In the end, we want to animate a lot of movies, and render it out with the adjusment layer above it, which correct the 'circles'.

I hope you understand what we want to achieve.

thank you in advance.

Bucko
(student Image and Media Technology, NL)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: corner pin to mask bounderies (not comp size)
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:24:07 pm

I don't know if I have ever seen such a problem come through this forum... quite possibly because no one has ever had the time to do all the overwhelming work it would take to do what you seek.

You're kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. No matter how much you try corner pinning, the projected image is going to look distorted SOMEPLACE, because some viewer will undoubtedly be at a different angle from that being projected.

Right now, the images look just fine... if you're looking from the point of view of the projector.

You won't ever be able to make the image look good all over the place. You'll have to sit down and figure out where in this room it's okay if it looks distorted. You'll have to measure... calculate the projector's angles from various viewing surfaces... calculate the amount of distortion necessary... distort a precisely-defined portion of the picture by a precise amount, or it still won't look right.

Then you might -- I repeat, MIGHT -- stand a fighting chance... but I don't like your chances. I certainly wouldn't want to undertake it.

Personally, I think it's time for Plan B.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:34:04 pm

you're overcomplicating things. simply create the animation normally, then take the surface mapping/sheer/perspective footage of the theatre and paste the mocha info into a master corner pin comp for AE. done...

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:31:20 pm

[Chris Wright] ".....create the animation normally, then take the surface mapping/sheer/perspective footage of the theatre and paste the mocha info into a master corner pin comp for AE. done... "

Well, duh, why didn't I think of that? Got all that? Good! Go!

....and remember folks, the name to ask for when you need help during this process is Chris Wright.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]