ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Can I render a TIFF sequence without thumbnails?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob LaRose
Can I render a TIFF sequence without thumbnails?
on Nov 18, 2009 at 4:27:28 pm

When I render TIFF sequences from After Effects (CS3 on OSX), they automatically include thumbnail information in the resource fork. As a result, turning off "icon preview" in the Finder for these files has no effect - it always reads the thumbnail icon. When dealing with large sequences (5000+ frames) over a network share, this impacts the Finder severely.

I have been able to remove the thumbnails using the CocoThumbX utility -- after this, the Finder "show icon preview" setting works normally (can turn it on or off), but I'd hate for all my animators to have to do this after every render.

So, I guess my question is twofold:

A) Can AE be configured to NOT generate these thumbnails in the first place?

B) Can the Finder be configured to ignore the thumbnail icon info, even when it IS there?

Thanks in advance for any tips...

--Rob

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Can I render a TIFF sequence without thumbnails?
on Nov 18, 2009 at 5:09:03 pm

[Rob LaRose] "When dealing with large sequences (5000+ frames) over a network share, this impacts the Finder severely. "

Uh-huh. If I try opening the folder containing my puny little 450-frame image sequences outside of AE, it takes about 10 seconds for all the files to appear... and they're not even set up for icons.

So this would be a Mac OS sort of issue, I guess: how do you turn 'em off in Mac OS? Beats me, they've never been on.

Even so, I sidestep the issue by NOT dragging image sequences into the AE project window, but using AE's import footage commands. It's faster.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Can I render a TIFF sequence without thumbnails?
on Nov 18, 2009 at 5:21:21 pm

[Rob LaRose] "When dealing with large sequences (5000+ frames) over a network share, this impacts the Finder severely... Can the Finder be configured to ignore the thumbnail icon info, even when it IS there?"

MacPilot might be able to do this - it has an option to disable custom icons on network volumes. There's a trial so you could see if it will help with your setup.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]