ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Quick "p.s.f." query.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Snow
Quick "p.s.f." query.
on Nov 18, 2009 at 3:31:42 pm

Hi

I've done a quick search, couldn't find anything, but apologies if this has been asked before.

It's been recommended I render out my work in 23.976 frames per second. No problem there.

It's also been recommended I use 'psf', as in Progressive Segmented Frames. I understand this is a progressive format, where a frame is a whole frame, but it's actually made up of two fields to aid compatibility with interlacing. Or something.

Main question is: can I render out of AE is p.s.f. mode? Or do I simply render out in a progressive 23.976 way, and p.s.f. is the way it's read by other systems/programs?

Many thanks for any insight offered.

W:)

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Quick "p.s.f." query.
on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:26:25 pm

We're talking 1080 HDV footage here, right? Basically, that fancy psf name is just another name for 24p: adding 3:2 pulldown to 24p pictures to make it 29.97 interlaced.

Double-check that psf info with the folks over on the Final Cut Pro forum. If I'm right, you'll need to remove the pulldown and work at 23.976... and at least with FCP, it's a lot easier to remove it in the editing application.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Will Snow
on Nov 19, 2009 at 8:42:14 am

Okay, okay . . . so if I'm creating everything from scratch in AE & Photoshop, do I just render out in straight 23.976 progressive? Or click the option to add a 3:2 pulldown, bearing in mind I'm going to create a master set of image sequences, plus a ProRes movie file too?

I'll post on the FCP forums too.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:12:04 pm

[Will Snow] "so if I'm creating everything from scratch in AE & Photoshop, do I just render out in straight 23.976 progressive? Or click the option to add a 3:2 pulldown, bearing in mind I'm going to create a master set of image sequences, plus a ProRes movie file too? "

In this instance, you only have to work in 23.976 if you WANT to. If you're a fan of the slightly herky-jerky look of a film frame, that's fine.

If this is eventually intended for both PAL and NTSC, then 23.976 is probably preferable.

And if you do go for 23.976, I'd simply make the image sequence. It can be used in an FCP 23.976 (aka 23.98) timeline, from where it can go to 1080i 29.97 with a good capture card like an AJA Kona adding the pulldown as it goes to videotape.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Will Snow
on Nov 19, 2009 at 3:45:52 pm

Thanks Dave

Yeah, this whole framerate headache is about trying to keep as many region/format options as easily open as possible, hence the 23.976 route.

That's cool, I've got it fairly straight in my head now: work in 23.976 progressive all the way, then go somewhere with the sufficient kit for all the various tape-outs etc etc.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]