ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Artifact left by Roughen Edges

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David KinskeyArtifact left by Roughen Edges
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 11:44:06 pm

Hello.
I've used the COW as a source of info in the past, but this is my first post to it. I am struggling with getting an animation sequence in After Effects just right. I am creating a burning photograph effect, with darkening and disintegrating the edges and flames licking the edges.

I used "Roughen Edges" to animate the photograph disintegrating away. However, an artifact is left behind showing the original edge of the layer, and it is there even upon a fully rendered export.

The Roughen Edges effect was applied to an adjustment layer over the photograph image, along with CC Glass. CC Burn Film was used on the photograph layer itself.

Is there anyway to remove this edge artifact? It really destroys any realism I had going for me with this animation.
Thanks for your help.

-DKL

Return to posts index

Jim DodsonRe: Artifact left by Roughen Edges
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 7:17:43 pm

I think I was able to duplicate your problem -- try moving the Roughen Edges down to the bottom of the effects window -- this will change the render order and should fix the problem -- if not try experimenting with the effects in different orders -- you can just drag the effect to change its position in the render order....

Hope this helps...

Jim Dodson

8 Core Intel -- Mac - OSX

Return to posts index

David KinskeyRe: Artifact left by Roughen Edges
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:56:27 pm

Sadly that doesn't fix the problem, and just set other effects to go crazy (CC Glass created an interesting and bloated effect being used after roughen edges). I have now resorted to just masking the worst of it. Which will in all add quite some work to this project when I apply these effects to a hundred jpg images.

Thanks though.

-DKL

Return to posts index

Jim DodsonRe: Artifact left by Roughen Edges
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:58:52 pm

Hmmm... you could always roughen edges -- then precompose and apply the other effects to the precomp??

Jim Dodson

8 Core Intel -- Mac - OSX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]