ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

track matte

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Burns
track matte
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:26:25 pm

Having problems with using a track matte. Here's the setup in the comp and what I'm trying to do. I have a video layer in 3d space, a text layer also in 3d space in front of the video layer. I have the track matte set to use the luma matter of the video layer and the eyeball is off for the video layer. As I track the camera forward, and the camera goes through the text layer, I want to go 'full screen to the video layer but everything goes black and I can't see the video layer I am trying to take the camera and fly through the test layer to view the rest of the video. Also as I watch from the top view as I track the camera forward, the 2 layers seem to come together instead of staying put and just the camera moving forward. I know this is not how to set up the comp for what I'm trying to do so any help figuring this out would be appreciated. Thanks, Chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: track matte
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:38:46 pm

I don't know why you need a track matte for the video layer for sure, but that's okay.

Put the track matte & video layer into their own 2D comp. Nest that comp in the main comp as a 3D layer. Make it 3D, and position it as necessary.

Unless you have an absolute need to animate the camera, don't. I'd parent both text and nested comp to a 3D null, and animate the null to create the motion. It's a lot easier than fooling with a camera.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:51:42 pm

thanks for the reply Dave... I need to fly through the text (which will be showing the video inside the text) and reveal the whole video. I thought that the text should be transparent and set in 3d space ahead of the video and then fly through the text. I just can't figure out how. thanks, chris

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 17, 2009 at 9:07:12 pm

Oh, well, that's different. You should have said so in the first place. Lay it out this way:
Top layer: text layer
Middle layer: Video
Bottom layer: Video (again)
  • Don't make ANYTHING 3D... yet.
  • For now, turn off the bottom layer.
  • Parent the Top layer to the Middle layer.
  • On the middle layer, set the track matte selection to Alpha Matte. Instantly, the top layer eyeball turns off and you see video in the text.
  • Make a camera layer, and make all layers 3D.
  • Turn the bottom layer (video) back on.
  • Position BOTH video layers in 3D space at their initial positions in 3D space.
  • Make a 3D null layer and position it midway between the two video layers in 3D space.
  • Parent BOTH video layers to the null.
  • Animate the null as desired. DO NOT fool with the camera. You don't have to.

You'll want to make that video with text layer track matte move pretty darned fast past the camera. It wouldn't hurt to turn on Motion Blur, either. Once that video gets close to the camera, things could get pretty ugly-looking, but the blur can conceal it. It's an old AE 3D trick.

And despite what you saw in your mind's eye, it's probably going to look different in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Nov 17, 2009 at 9:21:41 pm

Sorry I didn't explain it well enough. I knew what I wanted just not exactly how to explain or do it. I'll give it a try and see how it comes out. Hey, thanks for your time... much appreciated. Chris

Return to posts index

Chris Burns
on Nov 17, 2009 at 9:49:43 pm

Everything works as you had me set it up but the bottom video layer is always visible. Is there anyway to keep from seeing this until I get through the text layer?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 17, 2009 at 9:54:55 pm

Play with the video layer's position in 3D space, and play with the null's rotation & position once it's past the text.

Now the learning begins... good luck.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Chris Wright
on Nov 17, 2009 at 10:46:11 pm

is this what you want? I made a quick example flythrough text. and if you want 3-D text, just add shatter to the video and set to custom layer text.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=XNSL0WAF

http://technicolorsoftware.hostzi.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]