ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

1st time trying motion tracking, need to add # to soccer player shirt in certain areas of video....

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sebastian Knight1st time trying motion tracking, need to add # to soccer player shirt in certain areas of video....
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 12:45:36 am

I am new to After Effects CS4, I am trying motion tracking for the first time, I have a video that is about 30 minutes long, and I need to highlight a player, I need to this because the video is overexposed, so you can not see the player's number on his shirt, so I thought I could use motion tracker to do so, I was also playing around with the idea of having an arrow follow him onscreen where he is shown.

So here is what I need:

1-Easiest way to get started with motion tracking?

2-Easiest way to work with select areas of video and use motion tracking on just these areas.

As always thanks in advance for you help and reply

Sebastian

Thank You in advance for taking the time to read and reply to my Post.

Sebastian

Return to posts index

Michael SzalapskiRe: 1st time trying motion tracking, need to add # to soccer player shirt in certain areas of video....
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 4:56:52 am

Ctrl+shift+D (on a pc) will split your layer at the point where your playhead is located on the timeline. Use that to split your video up so you have layers that are just the video you want to use.
Or, alternatively, export just that part from your editing software.

As far as getting started with motion tracking, try some of the tutorials here on the COW.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: 1st time trying motion tracking, need to add # to soccer player shirt in certain areas of video....
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:47:23 pm

If you wish to attempt the number replacement, follow Michael's advice. However, I see a few pitfalls you need to know about before you begin:

[Sebastian Knight] ".....the video is overexposed....."

Depending on the amount of overexposure, this may be the deal-breaker right here. The reason: when an image is overexposed, parts of it become as bright as is allowable. This means that there is loss of detail. If this is a white number on a yellow jersey, the entire jersey may be close to being white, thus you have no detail in the picture from which to reconstruct a number. You should run a test before you begin motion tracking.

Second point: your soccer player moves in three dimensions: he has to, or he isn't much of a player. He twists. He turns. He bends. The number on the jersey warps and moves accordingly. AE's built-in motion tracker is made for TWO dimensions, and it can fake 3D tracking as long as the object being tracked is flat and rectangular. Soccer players aren't flat and rectangular. Mocha, which comes bundled with AE 9, can do a significantly better job of 3D tracking, but I don't know how good it is when the tracked surface bends, twists and deforms.

[Sebastian Knight] "I was also playing around with the idea of having an arrow follow him onscreen where he is shown. "

This may be a LOT easier to accomplish than number replacement. Understand that you need a point to track visible all the time. You may find yourself doing a lot of animation by hand to keep an arrow following your player.

In short, AE's a great application, but it can't work miracles. Your intended project comes extremely close to the miraculous category.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]