ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Doubts: Formats, Compression, AE to FCP

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ico OliveiraDoubts: Formats, Compression, AE to FCP
by on Nov 16, 2009 at 8:01:53 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm assembling a animation into After Effects using graphics from Photoshop and I want to edit it into the Final Cut, for the final export. Since I'm somewhat new to this I have some doubts.

-Since it has to be a Full HD (1080) animation, which is the best format to start it (i.e. HDTV, DVCPRO, NTSC DV, etc.)?

-Which compression should i use to edit on FCP afterwards? A friend told me about a Blackmagic Intensity or Apple 422 HQ. Both of them generate huge files that is not even able to playback on Quicktime, and I have a MacPro 2xQuad Xeon. Is that normal to edit later on Final Cut? Maybe no compression at all?

-Exporting a Quicktime Mov from AE then importing into FCP is the best way to do so? I know Motion and FCP work better together, but right now I already have some scenes animated on AE and time won't let me re-work them.

I hope I made my doubts clear and that someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

Ico

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Doubts: Formats, Compression, AE to FCP
by on Nov 16, 2009 at 9:11:37 pm

[Ico Oliveira] "-Since it has to be a Full HD (1080) animation, which is the best format to start it (i.e. HDTV, DVCPRO, NTSC DV, etc.)? "

Use a 1920x1080 comp. Don't forget to assign it the proper frame rate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Ico Oliveira] "Which compression should i use to edit on FCP afterwards?"

Usually you use the codec that will be used for editing in FCP. If you don't have FCP 7 on your machine, you don't have access to all the good codecs. Find out what your editor wants, and TRY to give it to him or her. If you can't, I recommend using the PNG codec... NOT a PNG image sequnce, but a Quicktime movie compressed in the PNG codec at best settings. It's lossless. It also supports alpha channels if you need it.

[Ico Oliveira] "Exporting a Quicktime Mov from AE then importing into FCP is the best way to do so?"

DON'T export from AE. Render using the Render Queue.

[Ico Oliveira] "A friend told me about a Blackmagic Intensity or Apple 422 HQ. Both of them generate huge files that is not even able to playback on Quicktime, and I have a MacPro 2xQuad Xeon."

If you're going to do work in HD, get used to big file sizes. It's just a fact of life. Get used to them. You probably can't play back the files because your hard drive is too slow. You may even need a RAID.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ico OliveiraRe: Doubts: Formats, Compression, AE to FCP
by on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:59:01 pm

Thanks!

As long as its 1920x1080 comp. Im safe? I mean, it doesnt matter if its HDTV, Custom or any other format?

Will try to render with the PNG and see how it goes.

Im all ok witht hte big files, and I was almost sure it was a Hard Drive issue, thank you very much for clarifying that, I might go HD only, then (1280x720). And Im still a bit unsure how the RAID works, but maybe I can try to get it in a near future.

Again, thank you so much for your answers, they helped me a lot!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Doubts: Formats, Compression, AE to FCP
by on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:49:35 pm

[Ico Oliveira] "...As long as its 1920x1080 comp. I'm safe?"

As long as you need to deliver an animation in a 16x9 screen aspect ratio, you're safe. I make no claims of safety for any other screen aspect ratio.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]