ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

How do you creat a 3D Spaceship from scratch?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Cooper
How do you creat a 3D Spaceship from scratch?
on Nov 15, 2009 at 7:44:32 pm

Hi Guys,

Ok so i'm making a Sci-Fi series and it's not one of these complete rip of things you see on youtube (EG star wars fanfilms), it's going to be all my own idea's (or slightly stolen idea's that have been tweaked lol)

Anyway, I need to create a spaceship... Now thinking about it I could use a green screen and a toy spaceship and do it that way... however i'd rather not be limited to the toys out there that are not replica's of star trek / star wars.

I've had a good look through the tutorials (which are all amazing by the way, Eran Is my favourite... He's so funny!) and I can't really find anything that will help, the closest i can find to something that might come close is on Eran's 2 part tutorial for 3D video in outer space (part 1) but other than that i'm totally stuck.

Naturally i want to be able to span a camera around the ship to show it as any angle.

Now i've tried doing it using the Shatter 3D effect... But that just didn't work out for me at all.

Any idea's anyone?

I've searched the internet too and come up empty handed, though you guys are the pro's you'll know the answer :)

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: How do you creat a 3D Spaceship from scratch?
on Nov 15, 2009 at 10:44:10 pm

Don't use After Effects. Learn a 3D app. Try Blender -- it's free.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 15, 2009 at 11:06:41 pm

> Don't use After Effects. Learn a 3D app. Try Blender -- it's free.

Though After Effects isn't the right tool for _building_ a 3D spaceship, it is the right tool for compositing such a thing into your scenes.

Whatever 3D application you choose to use, you should check out the "Importing and using 3D files from other applications" page and the other pages in the "Preparing and importing 3D image files" section.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Ben Cooper
on Nov 16, 2009 at 1:21:35 pm

Thanks for the suggestion Steve,

I've been looking around at various 3D programs that are free... Now i took your advice and tried Blend and wow... Didn't realise you needed a NASA degree in rocket science to use it.

I read up on a few tutorials but they just didn't answer the simple questions i needed answers for. A very complex piece of software (I have a degree in computer science and it's above me). Do you know of any other free 3d programs that i could use.

I'm not really looking for all the fancy stuff, just need to make a basic ship design using a few polygons and squares and i'll only be animating it to do what i need it to do in after effects so the animations will only be lasting all of 10 seconds each.

Any idea's?

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:22:37 pm

Swift 3D from Electric Rain might be the thing.
Google SketchUp might also do the job... or it might not.
I like Cinema 4D, which is very user-friendly in many ways, but may be too much for your needs at this time. They should have a demo ...

Todd's right, AE is great for compositing the rendered images (or movies) of your spaceship over backgrounds, or with zoomy light streaks or whatever.

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 16, 2009 at 3:14:21 pm

It's not uncommon to buy a 3D model from someone else rather than learn a whole 3D application just to do one thing. There are lots of places that sell such models.

Photoshop can import 3D models, and you can add new textures (image skins) to models in Photoshop. After Effects can import Photoshop PSD files with these 3D object layers.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
on Nov 16, 2009 at 3:59:49 pm

Indeed. Turbosquid is one such site. Try googling "buy 3d models".

... just make sure you buy one in a format that Photoshop CS4 can import, if you go that route. Todd's link lists formats.

Return to posts index

Serge Hamad
on Nov 17, 2009 at 5:24:53 am

Hi,

I second Todd & Steve on this one,

I would just buy a 3D object, use ProAnimator/Invigorator pro to import the model and then go nuts!

If the form of your spaceship is not too complex you may even be able to create it with PA/Invigorator.

Do you have a visual of your ship to show us?

Salut,
Serge

New InvigoMany-Media volume I & II available here:
http://www.nyc-visual.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]