ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Mac to PC (iMovie to CS3)

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graham QuinceMac to PC (iMovie to CS3)
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 3:03:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I've a friend who wants my help adding FX to his amatuer film. I can probably arrange to do the capturing on PC, (this is eliminate the Mac DV codec issue) but as far as I know he only has access to iMovie for the edit. There's a couple of virtual set/greenscreen scenes.

Normally on a project like this I'd do the edit in Premiere Pro, import into After Effects, group the similar camera angles, precomp them and sort out the virtual backgrounds. Trouble is iMovie (as far as I know) can't export even an EDL and I can't import an iMovie project into Windows AE CS3 (or can I?)

Do I have any options other than either:

a) insisting he does the edit on my PC (he lives about 3 hours)
b) doing post-production on all the camera angles in advance of his edit?

Graham - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Mac to PC (iMovie to CS3)
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 8:49:28 pm

I'm not even sure I understand the questions/situation, but since no one else has answered yet, I'll try ...

It sounds like your friend wants to do the edit himself in iMovie instead of just letting you do everything. I don't use iMovie, but I'd be very surprised if any consumer software had EDL capabilities. Since post work is usually far more time consuming than the edit alone, perhaps the easiest thing would be to have him do a rough edit and send you a copy of it when he sends the raw footage. That way, you're not wasting time on a bunch of shots that won't be used in the final and you have a guide to do the final edit by. It sounds like you're more of an editor than your friend anyway so it'll probably benefit him for you to clean up his edit as you do the final ... he still gets to make the edit decisions, but with the benefits of your skills and without the long commutes.

I hope that helps some.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved