ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

adding an interactive button in After Effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sean Worsell
adding an interactive button in After Effects?
on Nov 14, 2009 at 2:15:08 pm

I fear I know the answer but...I'm hoping I'm wrong. I've created flash files for various websites in After Effects, like banners and such. But I would like to add some interactivity to a banner (e.g., you click on a button and the animation changes). Can this interactivity be added directly in After Effects with a script of some kind? Or does the file have to be re-opened inside Adobe Flash to add things like interactive buttons. Another example might be you click on a button and it plays music.

Return to posts index

Rob Dahl
Re: adding an interactive button in After Effects?
on Nov 14, 2009 at 4:15:09 pm

Sean,

I am sure others will respond with more experience...

The answer from me is use the correct program for what needs to be accomplished. Too many times, clients and users try to utilize programs that just are not built or designed to do everything. (Microsoft Word is a word processor, not a Desktop publishing Learning Content Management System).

While I believe there is a way to code responses into AE, (i.e. looping) the outputs from AE do not allow for Mouse interactions.

Be smart and use the tools as designed. Create your outputs from AE and use Flash for controlling your interactions.

Be well and prosper...

Rob

Rob Dahl
Transparent Alchemy
Boulder City, NV 89005
http://www.transparentalchemy.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Todd Kopriva
on Nov 14, 2009 at 5:01:58 pm

As you seem to have already suspected, you must add interactivity in an application like Flash Professional. After Effects CS4 does have the ability to export a composition to XFL (which is essentially an XML representation of a Flash FLA project) so that adding the interactivity to a specific layer is easy in Flash Professional.

This page has some general information and links to much more detailed information about how to work with After Effects and Flash together.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Sean Worsell
on Nov 14, 2009 at 5:42:52 pm

Thanks. Guess I'll have to take a 24-hour crash course in Flash CS4.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 15, 2009 at 2:03:42 am

I haven't tried this but you can go from AE to Encore and then out as a Flash movie. Encore is a lot easier to work with for basic interactivity such as yours relative to Flash.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]