ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

a "shooting-a-tv-screen" effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emmanuel Goberta "shooting-a-tv-screen" effect
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 10:00:34 am

hi everyone,
i am trying to reproduce the style of picture you have when you shoot a tv screen with a camera

here what i have now:

i will had some "bad tv" effects and things like that, but i am ot very satisfied by the result

in fact i'd like to have something like that :
(i am not talking about "bad tv style" but more about the "texture" of the picture)

any idea on how to reach this result ?

thank you !

Return to posts index

Graham QuinceRe: a "shooting-a-tv-screen" effect
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 2:52:41 pm

I've tried various times to recreate this effect, using things like the venetian blinds transition, the CC Balls filter and even creating an image with a repeating black grid-like pattern. The best results I got came when I set my camcorder to Ski/winter mode and filmed the footage through my CRT TV.

Graham - Free FX for amateur films

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: a "shooting-a-tv-screen" effect
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 4:39:21 pm

Graham's approach is definitely the most realistic, but in case your cam doesn't have that kind of setting, you could also make a file in Photoshop with alternating lines of dark and lighter grey to simulate TV fields. Add some noise or grain. And use a bullnose mask so the edges aren't a sharp rectangle. Then, lay it over your footage in AE using a blending mode of your choice ... I forget which works best, but maybe screen or add with slightly lowered opacity so that it also simulates the slight glow of a TV screen. While there are better methods (some using third-party plugins), this method renders pretty quickly so it just depends on your specific needs/preferences.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved