ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Hand-Drawn Animation HD Settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rohit Iyer
Hand-Drawn Animation HD Settings
on Nov 14, 2009 at 9:59:34 am

Hi,

I am going to start on a personal hand-drawn animated short (3-4 mins). I was planning on going with the following settings as I want a suitable master for film output:

Resolution - 2048 x 858 (2.39:1 aspect ratio)
FPS - 24fps

I will be working at these settings as I want a high-quality master just in-case I'm able to get a 35mm version.

Otherwise the final video would be uploaded online as an MOV or distributed via PAL DVD.

My question is: Will the 24fps frame rate cause any problems when converting to PAL DVD? And what is the best procedure for doing this?

As the animation will be hand-drawn, frame-by-frame, this frame rate is most suitable. My main concern is about the DVD version.

Any help regarading this would be great.

Thanks in advance,
Rohit Iyer

Return to posts index

Will Snow
Re: Hand-Drawn Animation HD Settings
on Nov 15, 2009 at 3:50:07 pm

Hi!

Funnily enough, I too am embarking on an animation, and posted on here re: framerate etc.

Apparently, the standard procedure is to simply speed up a 24fps project to 25fps, and sometimes not even fiddle with the resulting pitch/speed change in the sound.

So even though the DVD will be 4% faster than the original, the difference will be no more than people in The Land Of PAL have had for decades.

I've been recommended to work in 23.976psf, but I'm not totally sure how this helps either a PAL-out or a film-out, though apparently it's easier when it comes to NTSC-outs.

Good luck with your project!

W:)

Return to posts index

Rohit Iyer
on Nov 15, 2009 at 5:43:11 pm

Hi Will!

Thanks so much for your response. Regardin, PAL-outs then, is it as simple as letting the DVD-writing software compress it for the format? That would make things much easier.

Also, I only recently learned about 23.976fps and I assumed it has more to do with video cameras than with frame-by-frame animation. Do correct me if I'm wrong.

The advantage of 24fps for animation seems obvious when it comes to timing and cycles/loops, etc.

But I would love some definitive conclusion on this!

Thanks again,
Rohit

Return to posts index

Will Snow
on Nov 16, 2009 at 9:49:23 am

Yo

Yeah, if you use Apple's Compressor, for example, and select the highest quality settings for MPEG-2 PAL format, it will simply speed it up I believe.

I used Apple's Cinema Tools once, to conform a 24fps to 25fps and that worked too.

Yeah, I've tried looking into the 23.976 shebang, but can't really find a definitive answer one way or the other re: using it.

All the best!

W:)

Return to posts index

Rohit Iyer
on Nov 16, 2009 at 9:59:30 am

Dear Will,

Thanks once again for your response. So I guess I'll go ahead with the current settings. It's good to have someone back me up!

Cheers,
Rohit

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]