ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

After Effects to DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benjamin LuomaAfter Effects to DVD
by on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:55:53 pm

Hi,

I have a simple slideshow with a voice over I've created in After Effects that is intended for DVD. I've read similar posts about rendering for DVD and have tried to follow the advice of others however, the results I've gotten thus far haven't been the greatest. My video ends up looking very poor quality when played on a DVD player.

As suggested on other posts I've set my composition settings to the NTSC DV Widescreen preset. I've rendered using the Animation Codec with the "BEST" quality. And I'm using Encore for transcoding and authoring.

My results have been very pixelated looking video when played back on a DVD player and HDTV as well as on my computer. Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects to DVD
by on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:21:26 pm

It sounds like you did all the right things in AE. I suspect a misstep in Encore when making the DVD.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Benjamin LuomaRe: After Effects to DVD
by on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:30:29 pm

That's a real possiblilty. I'm still very much a beginner with Encore. So I'll read some more tutorials and posts keep plugging away there. In the meantime though, my QT vid rendered from After Effects is still very pixelated at full screen on my computer. Is that just because of my monitors resolution or could I have other problems? What role does screen resolution of monitors and television play in these scenarios?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:43:15 pm

Everybody seems to have a different mental image of "pixelated". Mine is "poor image resolution". The motion can be smooth as silk, but curved edges still look jagged.

If you had to scale up those stills, that could be a cause. If you rendered at half resolution, that could be another. If you tried re-using some stuff ripped from a DVE, that could be a definite cause. Do some double-checking on the AE side.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Benjamin LuomaRe: After Effects to DVD
by on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:52:07 pm

So to be clear. My composition set to NTSC DV Widescreen 720 x 480 rendered to QT using the animation codec at "BEST" quality should be relatively clear when viewed at full screen on my computer?

Additionally, I actually scaled down the images I used in the slideshow. The resulting video viewed at full screen looks like "noisy" pixels. Sort of like stretching a picture beyond its original size.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 13, 2009 at 10:05:41 pm

[Benjamin Luoma] "My composition... should be relatively clear when viewed at full screen on my computer? "

Not necessarily. If you have an authored DVD already, look at it on a TV set. I've authored DVDs that looked god-awful on a computer, but fine on a TV. I presume things looked fine when you did a RAM Preview in AE.

Furthermore, a typical computer screen has a lot more resolution than at TV set. So a QT movie played back at full screen on a computer would probably look pretty stinky. And if you got something encoded in the animation codec to play back smoothly, you've got one FAST hard drive!

Noise in a still picture usually isn't noticeable unless you animate it. The fix: add a half-pixel of VERTICAL Gaussian blur.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Justin ParkerRe: After Effects to DVD
by on Nov 14, 2009 at 10:51:13 pm

Probably the easiest way would be to import the AE comp into Encore using the Dynamic Link feature (skipping the intermediate render step altogether).

It also sounds like it could have been rendered with the project set at half resolution instead of full. I've done that before.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]