ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

whats better for AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Amir Abed
whats better for AE
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:13:04 pm

I'm getting a new imac soon and AE isn't the main program I use but I do want it to run well and smoothly. Will AE run well with the first imac option?

1)3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics

or would option 2 be MUCH better?

2)3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB memory
ATI Radeon HD 4670 graphics with 256MB

Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: whats better for AE
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:15:23 pm

In my opinion, neither one is a good choice in the Mac world. All by itself, AE can use up to 4GB of RAM PER CORE on a Mac. I will let you do the arithmetic.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Amir Abed
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:28:33 pm

I understand that the imac isn't the ideal choice but I'm not trying to build the ultimate AE computer. I just need something that will be fast enough for me not to get so frustrated at how slow its going that I give up trying to learn. What would you suggest? And any opinion on the 2 imacs?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:41:16 pm

.[Amir Abed] "I just need something that will be fast enough for me not to get so frustrated at how slow its going that I give up trying to learn."

The one single thing that can speed up After Effects is to give the application enough RAM to work efficiently. Can you do that on those iMacs? If not, then you will indeed be frustrated

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:54:43 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "The one single thing that can speed up After Effects is to give the application enough RAM to work efficiently. Can you do that on those iMacs? If not, then you will indeed be frustrated"

I agree about the importance of RAM. The graphics card will have no impact on AE at all, so you can skip the ATI card and get 8GB of RAM instead.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Amir Abed
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:02:51 pm

Thanks guys I didn't know the graphics card played such a little role with AE...I'll put the extra money into ram

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:57:56 pm

I'm not adding anything other than a "yeah, what he said" to the statement that you should spend money on more RAM and fast local disk drives before you spend money on a better graphics card.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

ngo an
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:15:57 pm

hello,

i want to ask you.
is the graphic card important for the preview ?
because i´m thinking about buying a new graphic card ( ati hd4890 )
to accelerate ae´s preview function.
or is the graphic card for the preview not important too.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:18:47 pm

In After Effects, the graphic card is NOT important. A good graphic card will NOT speed up After Effects.

You should concentrate on putting as much RAM into your computer as you can. RAM will help speed up AE, not fancy graphics cards.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

ngo an
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:36:11 pm

hello dave,

thank you for the information.
i always thought that the graphic card is important for the preview.
but now i know why it is called " ram preview " ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]