ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Ae works slower after ram upgrade?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Arvidsson
Ae works slower after ram upgrade?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:12:04 pm

Hi I just upgraded my 4gig with 4 more and now Ae feels slower? Just curios if anybody run into this? The systems see all ram and so do ae. Are you supposed to put the memmory in a specially order when you install? Like the same amount of ram on both cards (macpro 8core have two cards you can pull out to install ram memory). I put the filled the upper card. and have 2 slots empty in the card under.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
Re: Ae works slower after ram upgrade?
on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:38:35 pm

I discovered that Ae only was using like 2 cores. I had to up the us ram for other applications to use get all cores. Now I think its works as before. The problem is that im not using more than half of the memmory i AE. Will uppgrade to Lepoard solve this?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:50:43 pm

There have been many posts on this topic in the last couple weeks. See these for more details:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/966941
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/967094
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/967562

Here's the relevant Adobe help page, too.

To summarize, the current release of After Effects is a 32-bit application, which can access a maximum of 4GB of RAM (approx. 3GB as the foreground process on Mac OS X).

AE has an option called multi-processing which enables it to launch multiple instances of itself to render frames; each instance can individually access 4GB of RAM. On an 8-core Mac, you could use up to 32GB of RAM during rendering. I recommend at least 2GB of RAM per core (16GB total, in your case) but prefer 4GB per core so you can still use the workstation for other things while AE is working. Less than 2GB can cause multi-processing to run very slowly.

Again, all that extra RAM will only impact AE during preview and rendering. It will not speed up your user interface, it will not accelerate effects within a single frame, and it will not lengthen your RAM previews.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:21:43 am

"Again, all that extra RAM will only impact AE during preview and rendering. It will not speed up your user interface, it will not accelerate effects within a single frame, and it will not lengthen your RAM previews."

How comes more ram does does not lengthen you Ram prewievs? is this a 32 bit limitation?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 13, 2009 at 1:59:47 pm

[Joel Arvidsson] "How comes more ram does does not lengthen you Ram prewievs? is this a 32 bit limitation? "

Exactly right. AE can only use RAM from its foreground process to fill the RAM cache.

The next version of AE will be 64-bit only, so longer previews will be possible.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:56:58 pm

AE is still a 32-bit application, and as such cannot access more than 3GB RAM per process. Key phrase here is "per process." If you have multi-processing enabled, on an 8-core with all cores dedicated to AE, there will actually be 7 additional processes launched and can use more RAM. However, I don't recommend using more than 6 cores as the system and other processes need some CPU time.

MacPros also have very specific arrangements of RAM that work best. The older MacPros work best in mirrored risers with matched pairs of RAM (ie, 2x2GB on each riser) in the typical x2 configurations: 4GB,8GB,16GB,32GB. The newer MacPros work in a matched series of 3 on the first three slots (ie 3x2GB) and now use x3 configurations, so 3GB,6GB,12GB work best and traditional configurations (4GB, 8GB, etc) will actually be slightly slower.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:43:27 pm

Thanks for your very helpful responses! Its very apricated and really makes a differens. I didnt know you were supposed to go 3x.
Then I should get 12 since I only got 8.

Today was abit enoying. When I installed the extra ram I got some good news and some bad news. The bad news was that when i bougth the mac pro (first 8core) I told the store I wanted to have 2x4 memmory and they had installed 1x4. Then when I wanted to upgrade the Ram they told me I could only get 8 gig if I wanted to keep the existing 4gig. The good news was when I installed the extra 2x4 memory I stil got 2 extra slots so I can go 12.

Does it matter the order you put the memmory?, I filled the upper "card" and have 2 empty memory slots on the card under. I hope it doesnt work to bad having 1x4 +2x4 and get extra 2x4 instead of having all 2x4?

So with 8 gig what settings would you use in Ae? how many cores and how many gigs for each core 0,5 ,1 or 2gig?

Many thanks
Joel

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:47:37 pm

At work, I have an 8-core Mac Pro with only 8GB RAM. I don't even bother with multiprocessing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul Conigliaro
on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:52:09 pm

If you have the original 8-Core (MacPro 2,1) with the two RAM risers, you'd want match pair configurations. So ideally for 8GB RAM, you'd have 2x2GB in each riser. The 3x configurations is only for the newer MacPros that have 4 RAM slots. In the end it's not detrimental, but it's not quite as fast as the ideal configurations.

If you have 8GB in AE, I would set up multiprocessing on 6 cores with at least 1GB each and set to leave 1.5GB for other apps. Now, I've never had a problem with fewer than 2GB/core like what Walter was warning against, but I might just be lucky.

Lastly, I only us multiprocessing for large renders, never RAM preview.

Good luck.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:18:54 am

I have the original 8-Core (MacPro 3,0). I have 1gigx2 + 2gig x2 in the upper Riser and 1gigx2 in the lower Riser (I guesss the Riser is the board you pullout and put the ram on) I called the macstore here and they said I should fill the upper card first but I think I should ask here next time instead=). Should I keep it like this or move 2gig down to the lower Riser? /Joel

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:08:25 pm

Somesthing make the render go terrible slow. But it looks like I put the ram inte the right order.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacPro_MemoryDIMM_DIY.pdf

I use 6 dims and have 2 free slots free on the B riser. Just bought Snowleopard to se if that might help abit.

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:39:02 am

Hi I got it to work two days ago. I take out the new memmory and the mac pro worked as normal. Then I took out the old ram and put in the 1x2gig in Riser A:1 and A:2 and checked if that worked. It worked like a charm. Then I put in 1gb in Riser A:3, A:4 and also in B:1, B:2 and it keep on working.

Cheers
Joel

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]