ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Memory Management BSOD when rendering in Multiprocesing

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Fisher
Memory Management BSOD when rendering in Multiprocesing
on Nov 12, 2009 at 2:29:33 pm

Hi there,
I've been getting a "Memory_Management BSOD" when i render using the multiprocessing option.

I never get that BSOD f i render without the multiprocessing option.
I was trying different settings regarding the multiprocessing and i dont get the BSOD if i set "RAM to leave for other applications: 6.75 GB" . But i dont want to use only 5 GB for my renders if i have 12 !

PC specs: i7 - 12GB RAM

Any ideas on what could be happening ?

Thanks for your time

Return to posts index

Joel Arvidsson
Re: Memory Management BSOD when rendering in Multiprocesing
on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:36:03 pm

what is BSOD short for?
I think I have similar problem that the 8 core mac pro i have to "leave more than half of the memory for other aplications" in order to use 8 cores for Ae. Maby i have to upgrade to leopard to get this to work better?

joelarvidsson@gmail.com

Return to posts index

Martin Fisher
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:09:19 pm

BSOD = Blue Screen of death (Its like the grey screen in mac)

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:43:16 pm

Make sure you allot 2GB of ram per CPU in the memory settings. You should be using only 5 cores with this configuration.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:14:28 pm

[Martin Fisher] "...I dont get the BSOD if i set "RAM to leave for other applications: 6.75 GB" . But i dont want to use only 5 GB for my renders if i have 12 ! "

Um.... shut down the other open applications?

[Martin Fisher] "PC specs: i7 - 12GB RAM "

What's "i7"? Windows 7 or something... and how many CORES does this thing have? On a Windows box, you can have AE utilize about 3GB per core.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:32:17 pm

Well, I learned that an i7 is basically a new iMac. One with four cores in it, I believe.

If you're trying to get AE to use the maximum amount of RAM per core, it's a no-brainer: you're running out of RAM. AE can utilize 4GB per core, and 4x4=16, and you can see where this is headed, right?

Dial back the amount of RAM used per core to something like 2.5 GB/core. The operating system needs some RAM too, y'know....

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Martin Fisher
on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:06:46 am

i7 is an 8core pentium processor. New iMacs have one inside... but i have it on a PC.

Regarding the Memory Management BSOD, i've run MEMTEST 86 and i'v found out that one of my RAMs is broken. So i called to the people i bought the RAM and they replaced the entire set of 12GB. Now i've found out that one of the new RAMs is also broken !
well.. im calling again today to replace it... i think everything will work ok after that...

anyway, just to get it clear... you guys are suggesting to use at least 2GB per core ? which will be leaving me using 5 cores instead of the 8 cores that i could be running with 1GB per core.
thanks !

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Nov 13, 2009 at 2:56:48 pm

That is correct. It's not always about using as many cores as possible. If each core is starved for RAM, you could actually be slowing the rendering down, as it has to purge rendered data more often.

If you want to use all 8 cores, you should have at least 16GB for AE, with some left over for the OS, for a total of 18GB.

Just wait until 64bit AE CS5 is released... it should be able to take advantage of as much ram as you can throw at it (24GB or 32GB for some motherboards). Pair that with one of those SSD RAIDs that connect through PCI-E (1000+ MB/s transfer rates), and you will be in business. Renders will be so fast you won't know what to do with all the extra time you will have.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Martin Fisher
on Nov 15, 2009 at 1:29:33 am

that was clarifying.. thanks jon!

the problem was in one of the RAM sticks.
thank you all for the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]