ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

importing several EX3-Clips into After Effects CS4 at once

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andi Wandimporting several EX3-Clips into After Effects CS4 at once
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:06:59 am

Hi,

I was wondering, if there is an easy way to import several EX3-Clips at one time into Ater Effects CS4. The only way I know, is to select all the EX3-Clips in Premiere with the Media-Browser, save the project and import it in After Effects.

Isn't there any other way?

Thanks and regards,
Andi

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: importing several EX3-Clips into After Effects CS4 at once
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:23:37 pm

Find the folder where the clips are located. Drag them directly onto the project window. They're imported. God help you if you captured hour-long clips or something equally stupid, because AE is definitely NOT built for editing.

And since I don't keep up with every camera model that people decide to make, I have no idea what what kind of footage an EX3 records. So you should know this, too:

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan JohnsonRe: importing several EX3-Clips into After Effects CS4 at once
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:36:42 pm

I find my EX3 .mp4 file work just fine in AE CS4. Importing is a pain
as I import the all the folder's then pic out the files from the folders. Then I delete all the folder that don't have anything in them.
Hope there will be a beter way next upgrade.

EX3 file have worked great for me. I've done alot of Spots this
way.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: importing several EX3-Clips into After Effects CS4 at once
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 5:44:21 pm

[Ryan Johnson] "Hope there will be a beter way next upgrade. "

Typically, this isn't a problem when utilizing a different work flow. I wouldn't do it they way you're doing it, because you're bringing in a whole lot of chaff along with the wheat.

When working in AE, you normally only want the stuff in a timeline that you're actually going to use: trimmed up, in order, from the timeline of an editing application. It's a right royal pain to use AE for editing.

[Ryan Johnson] "I find my EX3 .mp4 file work just fine in AE CS4."

Glad to hear it. You're one of the lucky ones. Don't change ANYTHING on your machine, or you could find yourself asking, "Hey! How come AE's screwing up?"

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Andi WandRe: importing several EX3-Clips into After Effects CS4 at once
by on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:46:50 am

Hi Dave and Ryan,

thanks for your reply. I don't edit in After Effects, I need the clips for some effect stuff, they are small but many.
It seems as there is no real comfortable way to import many EX-Clips at once into After Effects. I personally prefer may way, picking out the MP4-files as you do it, Ryan, sounds really like a pain in the xx.
I do it this way: I import all the footage to Premiere Pro (the sequenz can stay empty), save the project and import it into After Effects (File -> Import -> import Premiere Pro Project). I get all the MP4 imported plus the empty sequenz which I delete. This way wouldn't be that bad, but the pain is, that Premiere has to adjust (whatever it actually does) all the files after importing them - means you have to wait some while.
Well, that's definatly no comfortable way but still better than picking files out of folders by hand.

Thanks for your answer, at least I now know that there is no really good way for that import issue.

Regards, Andi

Return to posts index

Austin HillRe: importing several EX3-Clips into After Effects CS4 at once
by on Dec 8, 2010 at 1:01:17 am

Try This:

This would work if you were importing directly into AE without having trimmed in Premiere first. I'll cover that in 2

1) from Windows go to the root folder of where all the EX3 files are. control-F to do a search and type in *.mp4

That will then ONLY show the mp4 files. Drag and drop.

2) if you need to trim in Premiere first then setup a sequence in premiere with all your clips, trim them, select them all from the sequence (audio too, if you want) right click, select 'replace with After Effects composition'. Now all the clips will be in AE, each as their own layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]