ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HELP! Doing bright glow lights as seen in ALL new rap videos

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pawl fisher
HELP! Doing bright glow lights as seen in ALL new rap videos
on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:24:10 am

hello

I am trying to figure out how to do the BRIGHT LIGHT glow effect that I see in all new rap videos. IT is like
a really bright hot glow and i know it was done in post production

As seen in this video:

(and every other new video out)

it seems like a film burn overlayed with compositing..

please help!!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HELP! Doing bright glow lights as seen in ALL new rap videos
on Nov 12, 2009 at 7:52:26 pm

[pawl fisher] " IT is like a really bright hot glow and i know it was done in post production."

Wrong! Most of what you saw was a lot of good planning and good photography. Most of those glows are from practical lighting effects, enhanced by a set (yes grasshopper, a SET) filled with smoke.

In other words, you ain't pullin' this kind of look off with a hand-held HDV camera and the lights in your basement.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

pawl fisher
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:20:09 pm

Understood. I have done similiar things with layer compositing and using stock footage of film burns etc. Maybe if I can find video of starburst with an alpha channel

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 13, 2009 at 10:47:38 pm

Ah, but you asked about those particular searchlight-looking light beams that blind the camera now and again in that video. That's how they did 'em. I'm no lighting expert, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn they were lasers.... and a lot of smoke, too.

Try anything you'd like, but sometimes nothing beats a practical effect.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

pawl fisher
on Nov 13, 2009 at 11:57:48 pm

my footage is already shot,, so in your professional opinion how could i achieve the BLINDING look ? do you know any sites that would offer light footage like that that maybe I could combine with a lens flare.

The point of my original post is that the lights appear to be "hotter than white". I've seen something similiar to this in AE. I am asking on here because people here are experts in AE . How can I mimic this effect since I don't have a multimillion dollar set/studio

thanks
-pawl

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 16, 2009 at 4:46:33 pm

[pawl fisher] "my footage is already shot, so in your professional opinion how could i achieve the BLINDING look ?"

Sorry, I don't know how to make photorealistic light beams through a smoky rooms... which, because of the smoke, flare outrageously when they hit the camera lens, generating an incredible amount of light wrap on the subject.

Dave's Stock Answer #2:

When you're out on a shoot, and you say, "we'll fix this in post" without knowing PRECISELY HOW you're going to fix it in post, don't shoot it! You'll only end up shooting it over again.

Since post typically costs three times the cost of production, fixing something in post is not a way to save money, but rather a way to spend more of it.

And, before you say "well fix it in post," always consider who's doing the work, especially if you're the one doing the editing.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]