ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

After Effects and Kernal Panic Errors

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David HallAfter Effects and Kernal Panic Errors
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:50:43 pm

Hi everyone, I have a client that's been having a problem that I hope you can help with.

They are working on a 2x 2.66 Quad-Core Nehalem system with 16GB RAM. They have CS4 installed on both 10.5 and 10.6 hard drives (everything fully updated).

The system has been Kernel Panicking fairly regularly (3-4 times daily). The problem started shortly after they received the computer. The majority of the KPE logs they have sent me show After Effects as being the process related to the error. They said that it tends to crash most during fairly resource-intensive render sessions. It seems to be doing this on both the 10.5 and 10.6 drives. They have this setup on several other systems and none of them are having this issue. We have also provided the client with a loaner system while theirs is in the shop, and they have reported no problems on that.

We brought the system into the shop once to try to determine the issue and were able to isolate 2 bad RAM sticks. We swapped these out and everything worked fine for about 2 weeks before it started doing the same thing again. I've used both Tech Tools and Rember to try to track down anymore bad RAM, but all of the tests have come back clean.

Has anyone else seen anything like this before? I can provide some of the KPE logs if those will help. Thanks.

David Hall
Service Manager
Zero One Media Center
Apple Certified Hardware Technician

Return to posts index

Brian CharlesRe: After Effects and Kernal Panic Errors
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 1:37:09 am

Are they running the current update to CS4? 9.0.2 solved many issues.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: After Effects and Kernal Panic Errors
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:22:25 pm

Furthermore, the client may have memory allocated incorrectly to use AE's multiprocessing capabilities correctly. All by itself, AE can utilize 4GB per core, meaning an 8-core 16GB machine soon runs out of RAM.

If the client wants multiprocessing, have them cut back to using something like 6 cores at 2.5 GB In the multiprocessing settings.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved