ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Slow down a movie clip

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun StanwoodSlow down a movie clip
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 7:17:09 pm

Hi all, I'm a bit of an AE Novice here.
For what seems to be a simple task, I can't find a straightforward how-to. I'd check my books but they're in storage for another 3 weeks, while my life is on the move.

Any ways, I need to slow down a .mov clip.
If I use the time extend -> 200%, I get the speed I want, but it's all choppy, presumably because they just double the frames.
I need a smooth, slower version of my .mov file.
If I use the timewarp feature and add slow it down that way, I lose frames, and my .mov no longer loops seamlessly.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Slow down a movie clip
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 7:25:18 pm

If reducing the clip's speed by half isn't acceptable, try two things:
• Use Time Remapping to slow down the clip, and enable frame blending.
• Still no joy? It's time to open the wallet to get a pricey frame rate conversion plugin from Magic Bullet or Twixtor.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Slow down a movie clip
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 8:06:54 pm

time stretch might be easier that time remapping for this, but then do as dave suggests and enable frame blending (layer>frame blending>pixel motion) and enable frame blending for the preview, it's the icon that looks like a film frame.

but no matter how you do it, you will have problems looping it... to try and make that work, you will need to add the first frame to the end and then do your time stretch/time remap/timewarp it to interpolate a new frame in between, then trim off the last frame of two to get it to look again.

if that didn't make sense, drag your footage to the make comp icon. then change the comp settings to add one frame. duplicate the footage layer and move it to the end of the timeline to line up the first frame with the last frame of the other layer.

now take that comp into a new comp and do the time stretching and frame blending. once you have something that is acceptable, you'll then need to trim a frame or two off the end (should be two frames if you stretch 200%).

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

scott novasicRe: Slow down a movie clip
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 3:16:51 am

big fan of Twixtor pro for this. You can not only speed up and slow down footage but ease in and out of different velocities for some great effects..

Animation & Visual Effects
Scott Novasic
Los Angeles Ca

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved