ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Character remembering effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis GuiotCharacter remembering effect
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:47:18 pm

Hi,

I am filming an animation and we are doing a scene where the character remembers snippets of what other characters have told him (he is having a kind of dilemma) and as each line is said a kind of image of that scene with blurred edges floats across as if in his mind.

It is quite a classic thing from a lot of cartoons.

I am quite new to after effects but any help at all on achieving this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Will SnowRe: Character remembering effect
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:59:25 pm

Hi Louis!

Do you know about nesting compositions?

Lets say you have the character acting out his remembering pose. That would be one composition.

In another composition, you would create the montage of all the bits of the scenes he's remembering.

You then drop that composition into the timeline of the original composition (the one with the character), position it just like an object, and add as many masking, vignette, and blurring effects to it as you want. You can also keyframe its motion to have it moving across, if you so wish.

Does that make sense? Don't worry about being new to AE, what you're after is very easy to achieve :)

Return to posts index

Louis GuiotRe: Character remembering effect
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 7:59:49 pm

Thanks a lot for your quick response.

Yeah i was thinking I could do something like that.

I don't suppose you know any tutorials or anything that could point me in the right direction (I don't mean for this effect specifically).

Thanks

Return to posts index

by on Nov 11, 2009 at 9:09:45 pm

I don't know any off the top of my head, but I always think it's worth doing things properly and working through the textbook(s).

I used After Effects CS3 Classroom in a Book, but any of the main ones when you go on Amazon and search for After Effects will be fine.

The thing with AE is that it is such a user friendly, intuitive, and pleasing program to use ... yet it's so powerful, that you won't want to stop your learning at just nesting compositions.

However, for your problems right now, a quick Google throws up some results that will probably be fine:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=after+effects+nesting+composition+tutorial...

Return to posts index

Louis GuiotRe: Character remembering effect
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 9:12:40 pm

Cool well ill have a look.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Character remembering effect
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 6:06:48 am

Seeing Will post a Google query as part of an answer meant that I couldn't resist reminding everyone that Adobe provides a much more focused After Effects Community Help search. It's a Google custom search engine that only includes websites that we have found to provide consistently high-quality material. Like the COW, of course.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 12, 2009 at 8:56:55 am

Oh cool!

Noted for the future, thanks Todd!

W:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]