ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Replicating text bulge effect, driving me insane! Please help!

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael LansdellReplicating text bulge effect, driving me insane! Please help!
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 3:59:23 pm

I've been asked to replicate some titles for a programme, but I'm having a bit of a problem with what should be a very simple effect...

I've uploaded the original clip which will ilustrate what I'm trying to replicate.

The text flying in, that's fine, but the bulge afterwards... I thought I could just keyframe in a font size change, but actually this isn't possible for whatever reason... Any ideas? Unfortunately I can't get the project file from the other production company to just swap the text for our programme. It's annoying me, I can create all kinds of particle simulations, realistic compositions, complex character animations, etc in After Effects, but can I make a some text bulge!?

ARGH!

If anyone has any ideas how to do this, I'd be very grateful!

Michael Lansdell

Online/Offline Editor

My system:

2 x 3 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
5GB DDR2 RAM
512MB ATI Radeon X1900 XT
OS X 10.4.11
Final Cut Pro 6.0.4
After Effects CS4
Blackmagic Design DeckLink HD Extreme (6.6.2)

Take a gander at my personal blog:

http://www.monstersareart.blogspot.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Paul ConigliaroRe: Replicating text bulge effect, driving me insane! Please help!
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 4:21:09 pm

You want to animate the individual scale of the letters as well as stroke width. (You'll also have to make sure you have stroke turned on for your text. Just set it to 0px so it's not visible until you animate it.)

Twirl open your text properties and click on the arrow next to Animate on the right. You'll want to add Scale & Stroke Width. Then, simply keyframe these properties to get this effect. This will operate on individual characters and therefore not change the overall placement of the text.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

Michael LansdellRe: Replicating text bulge effect, driving me insane! Please help!
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:01:33 pm

Cool, that's helped me get a bit closer. The only thing It's lacking now is locking the character spacing so I get that overlap (at the minute it expands outwards). Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

John CuevasRe: Replicating text bulge effect, driving me insane! Please help!
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 6:54:13 pm

When you open up text-twirl open "more options" and change anchor point grouping to character. That should cause the scale up to overlap.

You could also just animate the tracking to a negative number during the animations too.

Johnny Cuevas, Editor
http://www.ckandco.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]