ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Why is my camera's Z-position changing randomly?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dorian FranciscoWhy is my camera's Z-position changing randomly?
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 3:31:34 pm

So basically I'm trying to have a camera zoom up from under my 3D logo and then flip 90 degrees when it's just underneath the logo at the same time as it zooms out and the whole logo becomes visible from a Front angle.

Okey, so the issue comes in when I've set up my keyframes for every camera position. When the camera is moving from one position to the other it's swaying back and forth as it's changing the position of the camera to ones that I have not assigned it to do.

To make it more concrete:

First camera position: X: 800 Y: 8000 Z: -30
Second camera position X: 800 Y 2000 Z: -90
Third camera position X: 800 Y: 450 Z: -2222 (this is irrelevant but it'll give you a clearer picture of what I'm trying to accomplish.)

So halfway through the keyframes the Z position should be at -60, right? But no, it's not. It's actually closer to +60. It's like the Z position goes from -30 to +70 and then at the end it starts going down until it gets to -90 where I put my second key frame.

I appreciate all the help I can get! I'm using After Effects CS3 if it matters.

Best regards

P.S I apologize if this was supposed to be posted in the Adobe After Effects basics forum.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Why is my camera's Z-position changing randomly?
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 4:06:17 pm

You're experiencing the so-called Boomerang Effect, which comes with Bezier keyframes. But there's good news: you don't have to abandon using Bezier keyframes, you simply have to tweak them.

Search the AE Tutorial podcasts for Aharon Rabinowitz' two episodes on the Boomerang Effect. They're worth watching.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dorian FranciscoRe: Why is my camera's Z-position changing randomly?
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:24:02 pm

I could kiss you and Aharon right now! The podcast was great because he didn't only give the viewer the solution, he also explained it in a way so that I got a basic understanding of what's wrong. Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved