ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Duplicated first frame after export from Apple Color and import into AE

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh ReynoldsDuplicated first frame after export from Apple Color and import into AE
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 8:07:07 am

Greetings,

I am having a technical gremlinesque nightmare. I'm hoping some kind soul out there can offer at least and idea as to what is happening.

Here is the workflow:

1. Cut footage in FCP 7
2. Media Manage and send to Color (all clips are trimmed with no handles)
3. While Color Correcting is in progress the trimmed footage is used in comps in AE
4. After exporting from Color, original footage is replaced with CC'd footage

Seems straightforward and braindead simple. Unfortunately at step 4 things are broken. When I import the footage in to after effects it seems that the first frame is duplicated and all frames from that point forward are off by one.

Footage specs:
Codec: Prores 422
Frame Rate: 29.97 progressive
Size: 720 x 480 (pixel aspect is 1.21)

NOTE: When I import the footage in to AE i interpret it to the correct settings (I've tried all of the variations and it doesn't seem to make a difference.)

When the Corrected footage is brought in to FCP or Quicktime the first frame is not duplicated but when I bring it in to AE it is consistently failing (on every single shot) in the same way.

I have tried rendering out of Color with different codecs (and uncompressed) and still get the same behavior in AE.

I have also tried opening the corrected footage in QuickTime and deleting the timecode track. No dice.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here? If I had hair I would be tearing it out at this point.

Cheers,
Josh

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Duplicated first frame after export from Apple Color and import into AE
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 1:52:22 pm

What version of After Effects? If you're using After Effects CS4, have you updated to After Effects CS4 (9.0.2)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Josh ReynoldsRe: Duplicated first frame after export from Apple Color and import into AE
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:07:37 pm

Hi Todd,

I'm running 9.0.2 on OSX 10.6.2 but further debugging has turned up some interesting things.

* The footage does not have the same problem on another system running 10.5 and AE 9.0 nor does it happen on a system running 10.6.1 and AE 9.0.

* The problems seems to be related to footage interpretation. When I first import the footage (which is progressive) it interprets it as having fields. If i make a comp the first frame is "duplicated" due to the field interpretations (it isn't identical though as there is some slight noise shifting.)
On the systems which behave as expected, if I change the interpretation to have no fields then frame one and two are distinct. On the offending system it looks the same.

I'm in progress of updating the second functional system to the same versions as the offending one and will post back my results, but it seems like the problems is a hosed up installation of something on the bad system which is a pain but pretty easily solvable.

Cheers,
Josh

Return to posts index

Josh ReynoldsRe: Duplicated first frame after export from Apple Color and import into AE
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 7:58:15 pm

Diagnosis:

Seems to be a problem with AE 9.0.2.

I've got two systems with the same version of OSX 10.6.2

One has AE 9.0 and the post processed Color file displays fine. On AE 9.0.2 getting the frame dupe problem.

I've attached the files. Can anyone else verify this behavior?

Cheers,
Josh

PRE COLOR PROCESSED
381_10framepre.mov.zip

POST COLOR PROCESSED
382_10framepostcolor.mov.zip

Return to posts index

Daniel RamirezRe: Duplicated first frame after export from Apple Color and import into AE
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 1:02:38 am

I was able to reproduce your problem in CS3 and CS4 9.02. AE is duplicating the first frame and PR, and FCP are not. I'll update soon with more information, but thanks for bringing up the issue.
Dan Ramirez
AE QA

Dan Ramirez
After Effects
QA Engineer

Return to posts index

by on Nov 12, 2009 at 1:40:52 am

Awesome! Thanks a million.

Josh

Return to posts index

Daniel RamirezRe: Duplicated first frame after export from Apple Color and import into AE
by on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:30:23 pm

Sorry for the delay. I'm definitely able to reproduce from scratch. It appears to be frame rate related. I haven't tested anything other than 29.97, but I think it's isolated to that frame rate only.

Right now, the only workaround is to trim the first frame of your layer. We're looking into a fix, but I don't have any more information on that.

Dan Ramirez
After Effects
QA Engineer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2009 at 12:20:12 am

We've fixed this problem on our side here for future versions of AE, but unfortunately this won't help the problem in CS3/CS4. Thanks for reporting this. We appreciate it.

Dan Ramirez
After Effects
QA Engineer

Return to posts index

by on Dec 1, 2009 at 9:56:49 pm

Oh, that's too bad it won't make it into the current fixes but thanks for letting us know.

Cheers,
Josh

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]