ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Removing objects frame by frame in videos

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim DrexlerRemoving objects frame by frame in videos
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 3:30:17 am

Is After Effects the best way to remove objects on a frame by frame basis from my videos? I'm using Final Cut Express on my IMac. I was hoping I could do it in Photoshop Elements, but I'm told I can't.

Return to posts index

Theo VeltmanRe: Removing objects frame by frame in videos
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 5:15:03 am

Depends what you're trying to remove. After effects has a tracker which can be used to track an object then using a mask you can remove said object. If you're referring to dust and scratches then maybe photoshop would be best. to I'm not sure if Photoshop Elements can load quicktimes though so you'd have to export a frame sequence which you would then need to make back into a movie before re importing to Final Cut (bit of a hassle).

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Removing objects frame by frame in videos
by on Nov 11, 2009 at 2:40:26 pm

Yes. The process is called rotoscoping. Look for tutorials on the web.

Return to posts index

Tim DrexlerRe: Removing objects frame by frame in videos
by on Nov 15, 2009 at 2:39:12 pm

Thanks, Steve. I checked a rotoscoping tutorial and it looks like it will do the trick. However, as I understand it, I will only be able to use this technique if, initially, the sequence does not contain the object (In this case a person I wish to remove from the sequence) and then the object moves through the sequence. Looks like you can then target them for removal from the sequence and retain all of the character of the background. Is that correct?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Removing objects frame by frame in videos
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:08:42 pm

[Tim Drexler] "Is After Effects the best way to remove objects on a frame by frame"

I don't know if it's the BEST way, but you can do it. I expect there is probably some dedicated hardware-based application that can do it better and faster. The problem: they usually carry price tags of several hundreds of thousands of dollars. So do you want the BEST way, or the best way for your budget?

Once you had these "objects" removed from the picture, I'd be interested in knowing how you intend to fill those holes you now have.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Paul McDonaldRe: Removing objects frame by frame in videos
by on Nov 12, 2009 at 11:35:57 pm

What are you trying to remove?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]