ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

spirograph to flash export

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
trev harveyspirograph to flash export
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:03:56 pm

hi

i'm trying to create some spirograph patterns using a set of specifically coloured hoops from illustrator.

i'm trying to create and animate into the patterns flat 2D with no effects as i want to be able export flv's for web with minimum size as well as qt's.

had a look around and found similar Q&A's but no solutions without effects. i'm sure there's a fairly simple expression maybe that might work for this maybe?

any help though would be very much appreciated

trev

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: spirograph to flash export
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:25:22 pm

Sorry, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out where you need the help.
  • Do you need to know how to animate these hoop layers from Illustrator?
  • Do you need to know about an effect within AE that can replace these hoops from Illustrator?
  • Why do you think you need expressions to do the job?
  • What is this thing look like in your mind, anyway? HOW is it animating?
  • Do you need help with something entirely different?

A little clarity will help a lot in your quest for help.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

trev harveyRe: spirograph to flash export
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:52:55 pm

hi

sorry for being vague,

what i 'd like to do for example is, use 30 different hoops all the same size in illustrator on separate layers in the same position, center screen.

import to ae

then in ae, have each hoop fan out from the center at either an equal or exponential rotation and maybe scale from each other in succession from the center.

creating the offset repetition of a spirograph pattern...

writing this out i can think of a technique but very fiddly using the picwip and a simple offset addition to each rotate or scale and anchor of each hoop, trouble with that is that every time you want to adjust the values slightly you'd need to tweak every separate layer

but would be cool to be able to do this sort of offset repetition with some sliders on one control layer or hoop, so that it effects each hoops rotation, anchor point and scale exponentially and separately

hope i havnt made this more confusing to understand.
the reason not to use an effect is that i want to be able to export the animation as a SWF file with minimal file size.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: spirograph to flash export
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:25:11 pm

You don't need fancy expressions that take a lot of time to figure out to pull this off:
  • Import the illustrator document
  • Adjust the Anchor Point on one hoop layer so it rotates at one edge, probably the bottom
  • Copy & paste the new Anchor Point into the other hoop layers
  • Create a Null Object and put its position where the hoop layer anchor points are located
  • Parent the hoop layers to the null, THEN position the null where you want
  • Create an initial rotation keyframe for all hoop layers -- select them all & hit Option-t; I guess it's alt-t on a windows box
  • Move the timeline cursor to a later time
  • Adjust the rotation of each hoop layer until they're the the layers are arrayed way you want them
  • Tweak the keyframe times until they behave the way you want

You still have control over every layer's position and scale with the null. And you don't have to re-write a fancy expression to make a change, either.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: spirograph to flash export
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:31:29 pm

Yes. The expressions and effects (on the web) were often created assuming that you actually wanted to draw the spirograph pattern, not just animate circles and ellipses.

Return to posts index

trev harveyRe: spirograph to flash export
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:39:07 pm

hi,
thanks for all the help and advice,
makes sense your solution and will work well i think.

i can get what i want using mograph in C4D but it won't render vector frames the same way as maya does.

anyway, this will work with illustrator and ae so all good

thanks again

trev

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]