ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Keyframed wiggle frequency problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Espen JakobsenKeyframed wiggle frequency problem
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:35:28 pm

I have my camera moving and then stopping to look at some pictures:

The camera has a position and point of interest wiggle linked to a null slider. I've keyframed the wiggle frequency so that the values are 'high' when the camera is moving, and low when the camera stops. I use a frequency of 1 when the camera is moving and 0,2 when it stops. The problem is that when the value is keyframed up again I get this very shaky move on the camera. I've tried every kind of temporal interpolation on the keyframes, but still get the unwanted shake as the value increases.

It seems when the value is keyframed up there are so many different values given to the frequency that this shake happens. If I put the keyframes right next to ech other in time the position and point of interest values shift too suddenly.

Anyone got a clue? Is there a workaround or something? This is not the first time I get this problem.

Espen Jakobsen
Multimedia Designer

Return to posts index

Xinlai NiRe: Keyframed wiggle frequency problem
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:52:17 pm

It's not natural to me to control how violent the camera shakes by controlling its wiggle frequency, I would use the wiggle amplitude for this purpose. Frequency is a subtle thing, it says for one second how many random wiggles are generated, so a frequency of 0.2 means one wiggle per 5 seconds, and it's quite hard to have a definitive expectation out of this.

Anyway, have you tried to link the wiggle frequency with the camera's 'position.speed' property? Something like
wiggle(freq, position.speed * 100)

Or at least, you can control the amplitude TOGETHER with the frequency to achieve what you want.

Hope this helps.

Xinlai Ni
Software Engineer, Google Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved