ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Upscaling a DV composition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Radbourne
Upscaling a DV composition
on Nov 10, 2009 at 9:17:49 am

Hi all
What's the easiest way of upscaling a DV PAL spec composition to 1080p?

I've got an animation that contains Illustrator vectors, After Effects live text and DV video in sub-compositions (creating a flying video screen in the animation).

Any help would be much appreciated. Cheers

Return to posts index

Steve Roberts
Re: Upscaling a DV composition
on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:58:24 pm

Uprezzing plugins

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 10, 2009 at 3:54:26 pm

I'd only upres and replace the video clips, not the entire comp. To preserve detail on the vector art and text, you could try nesting the DV PAL comp in an HD comp, scale it up, and collapse transformations.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Matt Radbourne
on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:11:03 pm

Great. So if I nest a comp at 200% and click the collapse transformations switch then the vectors and text (obviously not video) will be rendered as if they were all placed on the final comp at 200% size individually, i.e. not pixellated?

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Walter Soyka
on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:19:17 pm

That's exactly how it should work, but remember to double-check that Continuously Rasterize is checked for each vector layer.

What's more, if you up-res each of your video clips individually, replace the SD clips with the new up-ressed HD clips in your DV PAL sequence and scale them back down to fit in as the originals did, Collapse Transformations will preserve your resolution. In other words, a 400% blowup of a 25% reduction will look like the original at 100%, instead of a hideous pixellated mess.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

Matt Radbourne
on Nov 11, 2009 at 11:37:09 am

Argh. One last thing:
I have 3D camera paths. As soon as I collapse the transformations, the camera work is ignored. Any way to preserve this?

Matt Radbourne
Media Designer
CEM, UK

Return to posts index

Matt Radbourne
on Nov 11, 2009 at 12:46:40 pm

Hopefully found the solution: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/960672

Matt Radbourne
Media Designer
CEM, UK

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Nov 11, 2009 at 2:07:38 pm

That looks like a great tip -- please let us know if it works out for you.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:20:32 pm

in theory, yes... but it doesn't always work out that easily. collapse transformations can change how some effects look and, if you have 3d layers, it can effect their properties in unexpected ways. but you won't know until you try.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 10, 2009 at 3:53:18 pm

As Steve indicates, there are uprezzing plugins that can help. Notice the word "help": I didn't say "make it look great", but "help".

Here's my question: how good does this have to look? Not just in terms of image quality, but in terms of layout, too.

Unless you started with an SD widescreen comp, I'd imagine you'll want to work out a new placement for the layers in the comp to take advantage of the extra screen width.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Matt Radbourne
on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:02:10 pm

Thanks Dave
It's set up as an anamorphic comp at the moment.

I agree with you - I'd much rather do the upscaling pre-render. Something like what Walter is suggesting I think.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:12:07 pm

Yup. Uprezzing ONLY those portions of the comp that must uprezzed is the way to go. The rest can be scaled up fairly easily.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Nov 16, 2009 at 10:29:08 pm

You mention you've got a 3d camera which reminded me of one way I uprezzed a few projects I was working on.

What I did was duplicate the composition or save it as a different project (so you can always go back if/when you screw up). Then make your composition the size you need.
Then I went to all the AE-created solids in the comp and resized them (by highlighting your shape layer and pressing ctrl+shift+y).
Then simply use the zoom on your AE camera and zoom in closer.
It won't work for every situation, but it worked for me. I only had to tweak one or two other things. It saved me hours of work.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Matt Radbourne
on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:40:25 pm

Heya Michael
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I'm afraid that wouldn't have worked in my situation.

That COW link I posted above described the right way for me. I went from DV-PAL to 1080p in a few mouse clicks. Amazing. There are subtle differences between the SD and HD comps which I'll report back on when I can.

Matt Radbourne
Media Designer
CEM, UK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]