ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

thread transition

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Felix Lau
thread transition
on Nov 10, 2009 at 6:57:54 am

I am currently working on a transition where the frozen last frame of a stop motion sequence, showing a logo/word made from clothes, transitions into a solid black vector version of that same logo.

I'm trying to have a transition where black (fabric) threads/string (or simply thin lines) come out from beneath the clothing letters, and wraps itself around the clothing until it becomes the solid black vector logo.

I have tried to isolate the logo letters, and then using trapcode 3d stroke and some distortion tools to make it look like thread lines were crawling out from underneath the clothes. The 3d stroke is manipulated mainly with bending and offset.

When the wrap effect starts bending back towards the clothing again, another duplicate of the 3d stroke effect layer appears, so that the piece of clothing is completely enveloped by the effect. As the 3d stroke finishes the offset transition and disappears, the vector letter appears under the stroke transition.

The result of this process was not only confusing for me to repeat 10 more times (as the logo is 10 letters + a dot), it's also unconvincing as it doesn't seem to resemble fabric thread. The other problem is that first half of the thread transition stays under the clothing, but the second half goes on top.

Can anyone point me towards a better method of creating this effect?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: thread transition
on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:30:59 pm

[Felix Lau] "I'm trying to have a transition where black (fabric) threads/string (or simply thin lines) come out from beneath the clothing letters, and wraps itself around the clothing until it becomes the solid black vector logo.... Can anyone point me towards a better method of creating this effect?"

If you attempt this in AE, you are going to drive yourself NUTS and get nowhere. You need a 3D application to pull this off.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]