ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Solid Movement Help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ted ScinoccaSolid Movement Help
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 10:15:14 pm

Hey folks,

I'm not too sure how I can describe this movement/effect, so I figure it's just easier to show it to you. It takes place from the :37 second mark and only goes to the :39 second mark. It'll be the quick clip with a white bar, blue solid and a 3D camera movement.

I'm just trying to figure out the best way to build and animate that white solid going across the screen with different bends in it as well.

I've browsed through the forums, but without a definitive way of describing this animation, I've come up with nothing. I'm still using AE 7.

Many thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Paul ConigliaroRe: Solid Movement Help
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:16:38 pm

It actually looks like a flat 2D layer in 3D space, despite the shading on the white bar. It's most likely a series of solids revealed by masks, precomposed, then placed in 3D space.

Adobe CS3, Apple FCS2
[Disclaimer: Sometimes I am an idiot and misinterpret people's posts. I'm sorry.]

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Solid Movement Help
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:40:54 pm

There are many ways to do most things in AE and the best depends on a number of factors (other layer interactions, etc.), but what comes to my mind is that, rather than using one shape and distorting it, it would be easier to arrange a series of 3D layer shapes and animate a mask on each shape to start as the mask on the previous shape ends.

It'll take a little tweaking to get the timing right since the shapes might be different sizes and the masks will, therefore, need to reveal in slightly different spans of time, but precision isn't necessary since it's happening so fast.

Return to posts index

Ted ScinoccaRe: Solid Movement Help
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 6:06:45 pm

Thank you both for the help!
I'm well on my way, and tedious positioning but simple masking seems to be working thus far.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved