ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE rendering to DV

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marvin latimerAE rendering to DV
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:00:51 pm

I have a hp laptop wih fire wire and dvd burner and usb slots. I need to finish a product for tv that I am indep. producing. They want it in DVCPRO NTSC dv 720 x 480 How can I render the file in the proper format for them to have it uncompressed on a mini dv tape for them??? They dont want DVD because of compression. The camera shooting the original footage is a dv camera .

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE rendering to DV
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:30:44 pm

[marvin latimer] "They want it in DVCPRO NTSC dv 720 x 480 How can I render the file in the proper format for them to have it uncompressed on a mini dv tape for them??"

You can't. You can't record DVCPro on a mini DV tape, to my knowledge. If you can, you need to get at DVCPro camcorder or deck. Alternately, you can burn the completed DVCPro file to a data DVD.

But be warned: you'll need to buy pricey plugins to get DVCPro to work on a Windows box.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

marvin latimerRe: AE rendering to DV
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:14:10 pm

can you give me some advice on how to go about it. The camera we are shooting in is dv and my video guy says in pinnacle studio 12 we can just render to tape and pinnacle will shoot it to the record to the dv in the camera. I didnt see a tape option in AE. Did I miss something. I have premeire and AVID studio. Any idea plugins to make DVCPRO render to data DVD just in case?? Thanks

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE rendering to DV
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:43:48 pm

[marvin latimer] "Any idea plugins to make DVCPRO render to data DVD just in case?"

Sorry, no. I'm a Mac guy.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE rendering to DV
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:12:52 pm

[marvin latimer] "They want it in DVCPRO NTSC dv 720 x 480"

DVCPRO comes in two data rates: DVCPRO25 and DVCPRO50. You'll need to find out which they want. DVCPRO50 is far superior to DVCPRO25, but if you're working entirely in DV, you won't see a benefit. If they want DVCPRO50, you should re-render any effects, color correction, and graphics in uncompressed or natively in DVCPRO50 before your final output.

[marvin latimer] "How can I render the file in the proper format for them to have it uncompressed on a mini dv tape for them???"

Like Dave said, you can't. MiniDV is a very similar, but slightly different format than DVCPRO. (Also, neither format is uncompressed.)

[marvin latimer] my video guy says in pinnacle studio 12 we can just render to tape and pinnacle will shoot it to the record to the dv in the camera. I didnt see a tape option in AE.

AE doesn't have a record-to-tape function. You would need to use an NLE, and Pinnacle would probably do it, but it wouldn't make my short-list. You would need a DVCPRO deck to record your project in DVCPRO. If you output to a MiniDV camcorder, you will get a MiniDV tape.

[marvin latimer]Any idea plugins to make DVCPRO render to data DVD just in case?

MainConcept makes one.

If your program is more than roughly 20 minutes long (or 10 minutes at DVCPRO50), a DVD will be too small and you might consider delivering on an external hard drive instead.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: AE rendering to DV
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:56:03 pm

I recommend you hire a service bureau to record to DVCPRO tape. They usually require Targas or Animation-compressed Quicktimes from AE people, which you can manage.

Return to posts index

marvin latimerRe: AE rendering to DV
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 3:58:37 pm

with budget limits , gotta try and do in house. I have pinnacle 12, ae and adobe premiere to use. The camera shooting will be a dv cam. I see for rendering ae can be encoded in DVC Pro , the network say they need DVCPRO, BETA or NTSC-DV. I was going to edit in AE and then send that file to pinnacle to record to tape back to the DV camera and give them the tape. The guy at the network said they had too many problems with data DVD but I think the file would be way too big for that anyway. Its gotta be cut to 28:30

Here are my resources so please advise

Panasonic Dv camera
laptop with USB & Firewire
Editing software Pinnacle 12 , Adobe family

Not an expert on the difference between what it's copied to i.e. dv tape and what the file is i.e. DVCPRO, DV, BETA,NTSC-DV

the DVC PRO deck is about $7500 so that option is out. Not sure if I can have a video service to just charge me to convert the file from pinnacle to BETA or DVC Pro then give to network.

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: AE rendering to DV
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:20:09 pm

If they will accept NTSC DV from you, and you can deliver that with your camcorder, then you're set. If you can only do MiniDV, and they won't accept that, then you could still lay it off to MiniDV, and a have a service bureau dub to Beta.

Make sure you have and meet all the delivery specs so your tape doesn't get rejected when it goes through quality control.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]