ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Anyone one here use DFX plugins?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy BrungerAnyone one here use DFX plugins?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:59:29 pm

We recently upgraded our Digital Film Tools DFX suite of plugs for AE CS4 and whilst they are great tools, someone at Tiffen or whoever makes these now has had the crazy idea of very slightly renaming the plugin names...This means that any previously applied DFX effects in old AE7 projects now show up as missing when opened in CS4.

This would not usually be a problem (search for missing, then swap out with new version of the plug) however one of our big ongoing projects has several hundred instances of certain DFX effects and as far as I can tell, you have to find and replace each instance individually!?!

Does anyone know a quick way around this?

Production Premium CS4 - Mocha v1.5 - FCP 5.1.4
MacPro Quad 3GHz / ATI 1900XT / 8GB RAM / OSX 10.4.11
30" ACD / Decklink SP / SONY PVM-20M4E/ Wacom Intuos 3 A4 / XServe / United Digital RAID
Production Premium CS2 - Combustion 3 - Mocha v1.0.1
Win XP Pro 32 / Dell Precision T3400 Q6600 / 4GB RAM / NVidia Quadro570 / DeckLink Pro / Roland DS-5s / Sony BVM-20G1E / 2 x Dell 2007FP / Wacom Intuos 3 A4

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Anyone one here use DFX plugins?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:59:26 pm

Third-party plugin backwards compatibility (or lack thereof) has always been an issue with almost all third-party plugins (although BorisFX handles it very well). The solution I've always used is a very well-organized installation methodology and workflow ...

[1] force all third-party plugins to install into a "Third-Party" folder I create inside of the AE plugins folder

[2] add a "(Disabled)" folder inside the above folder and put an "Obsolete" folder inside of it (the parenthesis stop AE from loading any plugins inside that folder or its subfolders

[3] stop using old version plugins in new projects as soon as I get a newer version and move them to the Obsolete folder

[4] when I need to go back to older projects (quite often for me), temporarily move the new plugin version into the Disabled folder and temporarily move the old version out of the Obsolete folder

It might sound cumbersome, but its really quite simple ... after working this way for many years, I don't even have to think about what I'm doing anymore ... although I'm not recommending that part.

I own the DFX suite too and I absolutely love it so, while the transition from DFT is clunky, its worth it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved