ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Merging keying outout of 2 Keylight. Possible?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patryk RebiszMerging keying outout of 2 Keylight. Possible?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:31:42 pm

I have a really complicated keying situation (think worst case scenario where the green screen was set up without thinking what so ever). The green screen has a whole range of greens from very light to very dark (with harsh edges at that). The subject is moving over both dark green and light green so Keylighting out one or the other is not possible as with one Kelight plugin the other green that's not keyed out turns black, thus i was thinking if it's possible to combine the output of 2 Keylight plugins (one keying the light green while the other dark green).

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Merging keying outout of 2 Keylight. Possible?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:44:50 pm

almost every keying project I have ever done requires several filters applied to several copies of the source layer. In your case, you can create your multiple copies as precomps, stock them up, and swith between them by trimming them or, much more conveniently, render than separately and cut between them in your NLE.
You can attempt to use a garbage matte that is created by altering the greens and pulling a luma key. You use this as your primary alpha source and then tweak additional copies. It's tricky and a compromise.
Unfortunately, when you use different keying techniques to get the best possible key on different shots, you often affect the color cast of the shot.

You can research problem chromaky setups and solutions on the Net. Take you a few hours. You need to prepare your client for the worst possible case. There are some things that simply cannot be fixed in post.

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: Merging keying outout of 2 Keylight. Possible?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:51:02 pm

you should be able to use two instances of keylight on the same footage to get what you are after.

add the first keylight and settings to key one shade of green, then set the view to intermediate result (this keeps the matte, but the rgb values are uneffected, which you'll need for the next key). then add the second keylight and settings for the other shade of green.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer

Return to posts index

Christian HakerRe: Merging keying outout of 2 Keylight. Possible?
by on Jun 25, 2010 at 9:43:01 am

I'm trying to do exactly what your qrote in this post some month ago. But:
When I use "Intermediate Result" I get the source image with the alpha channel applied to it. Which means that there ist no green screen visible for the second keying path. What did I do wrong. Do I have to tell after Effect not to apply the alpha channel? If so, how would I do it?

Any clue?

Return to posts index

Patryk RebiszRe: Merging keying outout of 2 Keylight. Possible?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 5:53:10 pm

Patryk Rebisz
(917) 291-2565

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved