ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video flame border help

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike CarrierVideo flame border help
by on Nov 8, 2009 at 4:05:30 pm

I'm trying to create a flame like border like the one in this video.

I'm no pro but I can't figure out for the life of me how to do it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jakob MÃ¥rtenssonRe: Video flame border help
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:56:40 am

I would start with a solid and some fractal noise on that, animate the noise, than make some masks and the luma matte option might be useful too. Hope that gets You started.

Return to posts index

Mike CarrierRe: Video flame border help
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:09:05 am

Yeah ill give it a shot... Was really hoping that it would be just some effect I missed. Oh well, better luck next time.

Thanks for the suggestion

Return to posts index

David JohnsonRe: Video flame border help
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:54:14 pm

You might also try the Roughen Edges effect, but you will probably need to adjust the settings quite a bit to get the large moving edges.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:03:44 pm

Thanks for your response this is the look I want. I just have one problem. When I apply the settings some of the edges are cut off by the size of the solid. Giving it a bad look. How do I over come this?

Return to posts index

Dave JohnsonRe: Video flame border help
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:17:22 pm

When you say "this is the look I want", it's unclear whether you're referring to the Roughen Edges method or the other method suggested, but there are two mains ways to avoid the cutoff issue:

[1] precompose the solid and change the precomp size to be larger than the solid, thereby adding enough space around the perimeter for any effects that may extend beyond the size of the solid itself

[2] apply the Grow Bounds effect to the solid before applying the Roughen Edges effect (or whatever other effects you're using)

If I recall correctly, I don't think either should be needed with Roughen Edges since it does exactly what the name implies. So, rather than extend edges, it chokes the edges to create its effect and doesn't extend beyond the original borders, although I guess that may not hold true if the controls are adjusted certain ways.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:42:19 pm

I was talking about your method. (distort edges) my fault.

That fixed the problem thanks! Now off to figuring how to do the particles... I think it's a combination of particle world and trapcode particular. Any comments on that?

Return to posts index

Jon GeddesRe: Video flame border help
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:16:17 pm

Since I designed that menu, I will explain how it was done:

For the particles, I used only CC Particle World. For a detailed explanation of how that was created with settings and all, please see this thread:

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/965813

For the flame borders, the Roughen Edges effect was used:

• create a new solid

• select the rounded rectangle tool from the dropdown, then double click the tool to have AE create a mask the size of your comp.

• scale the layer down to approximately 85%

• Apply the Roughen Edges effect to the layer with these settings for a 1920x1080 comp:

• Edge Type: Spiky

• Border: 71.6

• Edge Sharpness: 1.25

• Fractal Influence: 1

• Scale: 300

• Evolution: Keyframed to ~115 degrees per second

• Cycle Evolution: On

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

by on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:19:07 am

Thanks a lot for sharing your methods. If it's not to much to ask, do you mind letting me know the effects you used for the water reflection?

Return to posts index

Jon GeddesRe: Video flame border help
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 5:08:42 am

Andrew Kramer created a tutorial for water surfaces. I used a similar / more advanced version of the one in his tutorial:

http://www.videocopilot.net/tutorials/3d_ocean/

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

by on Nov 11, 2009 at 1:50:58 am

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]