ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Deinterlacing in after effects?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John FrankDeinterlacing in after effects?
by on Nov 8, 2009 at 5:11:36 am

Hey, should I deinterlace my footage in after effects before color correction, grading, etc? Then reinterlace it after or is it okay for those things? But if I were to add motion graphics would I have to deinterlace, then reinterlace after? Also, how would I export interlace out of AE?

Return to posts index

John FrankRe: Deinterlacing in after effects?
by on Nov 8, 2009 at 10:12:22 am

I couldn't figure out how to edit my post, but I just now loaded the NTSC DV footage into after effects, and when I play it back in the main window there's no interlacing, why's it doing this?

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: Deinterlacing in after effects?
by on Nov 8, 2009 at 5:04:32 pm

from "Separate fields and determine field order" in After Effects Help:

"If you want to use interlaced or field-rendered footage (such as NTSC video) in an After Effects project, you get the best results if you separate the video fields when you import the footage. After Effects separates video fields by creating a full frame from each field, preserving all of the image data from the original footage.

Separating fields is critical if you plan to make significant changes to the image. When you scale, rotate, or apply effects to interlaced video, unwanted artifacts, such as crossed fields, are often introduced. By separating fields, After Effects accurately converts the two interlaced frames in the video to noninterlaced frames, while preserving the maximum amount of image quality. Using noninterlaced frames allows After Effects to apply edits and effects consistently and at the highest quality.

When you render a composition containing field-separated footage, set the Field Rendering option to the same field order as your video equipment. If you don’t field-render the composition, or if you field-render with the incorrect settings, the final movie may appear too soft, jerky, or distorted.

After Effects automatically separates fields for D1 and DV video footage items. You can manually separate fields for all other types of video footage in the Interpret Footage dialog box."

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

John FrankRe: Deinterlacing in after effects?
by on Nov 18, 2009 at 11:40:19 pm

1: I had a quick question, so when I import the footage into after effects it deinterlaces the 60 interlaced frames to 30 progressive frames, then I add effects and stuff and render it out as 60 interlaced frames again?
Will that keep the original motion and everything, wouldn't turning 60 frames into 30 frames, then splitting the 30 frames into 60 frames result in slower / more sluggish motion?

2: If I take a normal 30P recorded footage, and interlace it to 60i would it playback smoother?

3: Or is separating frames different in after effects somehow where it retains all it's smooth motion

I put numbers for each question cause their kinda mixed up lol

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved