ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Using multiple computers for workflow and rendering?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Carlos BonillaUsing multiple computers for workflow and rendering?
by on Nov 8, 2009 at 3:26:25 am

Hey guys,

So I am currently in rendering hell with this very large project in After Effects. As of now, the project takes about 2 days to fully render out all the compositions. Can anyone provide me with info or point me in the right direction in terms of using one computer for working, and another just for rendering. I have briefly looked on Cow for literature regarding workflows but would like to hear from this forum in terms of what you guys think the best method is.

To repeat: I would like to be able to set up a system where I am working on one computer, and use another computer JUST for rendering and spitting out.

I am using MacPro quad core Xeons.

Thank you in advance,
Carlos

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Using multiple computers for workflow and rendering?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 1:42:59 am

What do you have available to get the computers working together? Shared storage? High speed network? External drives?

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

Carlos BonillaRe: Using multiple computers for workflow and rendering?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 5:46:11 am

The only thing available to us is external drives that the computers can share. This rendering is crippling us - right now this project has taken over 2 days to render. Ouch!

Return to posts index

Walter SoykaRe: Using multiple computers for workflow and rendering?
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 1:52:34 pm

Ok, given your constraints, I'd suggest you consolidate & collect files (see Adobe's online help on the topic) from your project onto an external drive. Make an identical clone of that drive (same volume name, same directory structure, same footage) and attach it to the second computer. Work in the new project file that Collect Files will save. Now you will only need to copy over that AE project file and start the render on the second computer.

If your footage is constantly updating, then you can keep your working project as you are right now, and just collect files onto a fresh drive every time you're ready to render.

Just a warning -- it can take a time to collect, depending on your footage.

Walter Soyka, Principal
Keen Live, Inc.
Presentation, Motion Graphics & Widescreen Design
RenderBreak: A Blog on Innovation in Production

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]