ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Video in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward TasickVideo in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.
by on Nov 7, 2009 at 10:51:42 pm

I have a Quick Time movie with animation compression that looks great when played in Quick Time player. When I import the same movie file into After Effects It looks blocky and terrible. I have seen this before but have never figured it out. I’m thinking maybe its some kind of codec issue. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thanks

Return to posts index

keith mcgregorRe: Video in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.
by on Nov 7, 2009 at 11:46:16 pm

I'm gonna kick myself but, do you have the downsample
factor set to full? The display resolution? If it truly
is aimation compressed it should look immaculate in AE.
I'm thinking you know what your doing but sometimes we overlook
the little things. -K

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Edward TasickRe: Video in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.
by on Nov 8, 2009 at 12:49:05 am

yeah the downsample factor and display resolution are set to full? there is definitely something more going on here. Still cant figure it out. I know I have seen this before. there has to be someone out there who has run into this and figured it out.

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Video in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 1:40:23 pm

Yikes!

There's a clue: in the ugly version, the downsampling isn't equal, that is, the pixels aren't square.

What info is shown for the footage in the Project window?

Return to posts index

Mike JohnsonRe: Video in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:36:33 pm

I have been experiencing the exact same thing. Animation codec. Plays fine in QT, blocky (though not as bad as yours) in AE. In the program window, clicking on the clip shows the proper info except for where it should list the codec: I get seemingly random letters - qelr in this case.

Also, audio that should be there does not play. I can hear it in QT, but not AE (and yes, my playout settings are correct). Showing the waveform gives a flat line. I'm not trying hijack this post, just giving extra info on the exact same problem files.

Finally, if I take these files to a laptop that is running the same versions of everything I have no problems. The only difference is that the problem machine has a Kona LHe and has the Cinema4d aec plugin installed.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:36:41 pm

Have you guys tried different codecs as a workaround? TGA sequence, PNG sequence, 8-bpc uncompressed ...?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:19:43 pm

Yeah I ended up exporting all my video out of QuickTime with Motion Jpeg B compression and it works perfectly. But as I’m sure you know a work around like that will only work so many times before a more permanent solution must be found.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:04:58 pm

Excellent description Mike, we are definitely experiencing the exact same thing. I too am getting the seemingly random letters (qelr) along with the missing audio and if I use a different computer everything works fine. So now there are two people with the same problem. Someone out there must know what is going on here.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:46:08 pm

this is the info shown for the footage in the Project window

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:07:30 pm

"qeir"? Are you sure this was rendered to the animation codec? What does the Info say in QT Player?

If it's in an AJA codec, it should be 720x480 or 720x486, right?

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:44:05 pm

Yeah, I’m sure it was rendered to the Animation codec. Below is a screen grab of the QuickTime inspector for the movie in question. I also did some tests exporting the movie out of QuickTime using the Animation codec and I still get the same problem.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:51:25 pm

What if you render to 720x486? Maybe there's some kind of interaction between the AJA card software and AE that kaks on 720x540 ... maybe there's a setting in the AE prefs ...?

(hey, I'm tryin' ...)

Return to posts index

Mike JohnsonRe: Video in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:12:05 pm

Aside from the obvious differences, my screen grabs would look the same. I also tried rendering out to different formats without any positive results.

I should note that my footage is all 1920x1080 footage.

I've been speaking with someone at Adobe's Technical Response Team prior to posting here. With some of my problem footage he has been unable to duplicate the problem, however he did not have an Aja card installed.

I pointed him to this thread, so we'll see if anything turns up.

Return to posts index

James HawkinsRe: Video in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 2:42:37 pm

Anyone have any luck with this issue? Problem just started on one of our systems, and i found this thread.

We are having the same problem. The only difference being we are using uncompressed 8-bit 1920x1080 and the info in the project panel reads yuv2 rather then the correct codec.

Anyone try an AE reinstall?

Any word from Adobe's Technical Response Team?

I'd really appreciate any help on this subject!

Return to posts index

James HawkinsRe: Video in QT looks good, video in AE looks bad.
by on Jan 11, 2010 at 3:43:37 pm

So I solved the issue by uninstalling AJA adobe utilities. Everything works wonderfully now!

See this thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/970254#970292

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]