ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

AE CS4 will not import m2t files unless they have a pek or cfa associated files

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe MoyaAE CS4 will not import m2t files unless they have a pek or cfa associated files
by on Nov 7, 2009 at 8:11:21 pm

I have m2t files that contain these following files associated with the m2t files...

cfa, pek, mpgindex, xmp.

Using CS4 in WinXP (32bit).... m2t files are 1.33 30p 1440x1080 HD files captured from HV30. All files (both that render/import and do not render/import) were captured using Avid Liquid.

The files that have these associated files will open up with Premiere Pro and After Effects... but, an entire directory of m2t files that do not have these associated files (except xmp) will not open with any Adobe editing or compositing software.

These same m2t files (with or without the associated files - cfa pek mpgindex) will open and edit fine with Avid Liquid NLE... but without the cfa pek files, the m2t file in AE or PP will not open... instead, I get the dreaded media pending files.

My assumption is that Adobe would create these associated file when you import into AE or PP... but, for this one large directory of m2t files neither AE or PP will import but only shows the "media pending" gold window... and will not render in PP... and, do not contain (nor creates) the cfa pek mpgindex assoicated files.

Any solutions as to why a single directory of m2t group of files fails to import or render with PP or AE? Plus, why aren't the the typical pek cfa mpgindex files not present/created as in the other m2t files?

BTW, these same file are visible in Adobe Bridge and Windows media player.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: AE CS4 will not import m2t files unless they have a pek or cfa associated files
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 4:42:14 pm

Dave's Stock Answer #1:

If the footage you imported into AE is any kind of the following -- footage in an HDV acquisition codec, MPEG1, MPEG2, mp4, m2t, H.261 or H.264 -- you need to convert it to a different codec.

These kinds of footage use temporal, or interframe compression. They have keyframes at regular intervals, containing complete frame information. However, the frames in between do NOT have complete information. Interframe codecs toss out duplicated information.

In order to maintain peak rendering efficiency, AE needs complete information for each and every frame. But because these kinds of footage contain only partial information, AE freaks out, resulting in a wide variety of problems.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Joe MoyaRe: AE CS4 will not import m2t files unless they have a pek or cfa associated files
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 12:43:00 am

Well then.... somone needs to tell this to Adobe software engineers and needs to file a truth in advertising complaint....because the manual says that CS4 can use these natively.

At the same time, this explanation doesn't seem to be universally accurate since I do have a number of m2t files that work fine.

All that being said...now, I need to find the best conversion format to help produce the most lossless final results... unless someone knows of a file codec that is absolutely lossless when converting the m2t file... anyone?

Until then, I think I am going to try and find out why these particular group of m2t will not render/import and the others will.

Return to posts index

Kris KosterRe: AE CS4 will not import m2t files unless they have a pek or cfa associated files
by on Dec 23, 2009 at 12:24:12 am

Look in your boot.ini file. If it has switches /3GB or /PAE take them out, save boot.ini and reboot your machine. Then try again.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]