ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Suggestions for film projection look

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brendan BowenSuggestions for film projection look
by on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:59:04 am

I need to find a way to take exciting news footage and make it seem like it's being projected on to other abstract video shots(such as sunlight streaking through pinetrees and chopper blades spinning).
It's got to seem like the sunlight / chopper blades etc are projecting the footage.

Anyone got any suggestions or need me to explain it better (don't know if I can?)

Return to posts index

david bogieRe: Suggestions for film projection look
by on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:48:40 pm

> I need to find a way to take exciting news footage and make it seem like it's being projected on to other abstract video shots(such as sunlight streaking through pinetrees and chopper blades spinning).
It's got to seem like the sunlight / chopper blades etc are projecting the footage.
Anyone got any suggestions or need me to explain it better (don't know if I can?)

Major communication issues here, buddy.

"take exciting news footage." You mean you have not yet shot it?

"projected on to other abstract video shots" like it's coming through a projector? Film or video? so the other shot represents a screen or a 3D object?
\
" It's got to seem like the sunlight / chopper blades etc are projecting the footage. " this is completely different from porjected onto. which is it?

bogiesan

Return to posts index

Jeff BonanoRe: Suggestions for film projection look
by on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:28:11 pm

Your request is a little hard to follow, but I'm willing to take a stab at it to see if it's what you are trying to do.

If you maybe take some fractal noise footage that is loop able, then maybe adjust the colors so you have only black and white (it really depends on what look you are going for) you can then place the footage you want to "project" and apply a luma matte using the fractal noise. If you play with the look of the fractal noise enough, you might get the look you're looking for.

If you are planning on having the image show on the ground as if the image is the shadow or something, First have some footage of the ground and then just apply your "projected" footage as a 3D layer and line it up with the ground and adjust the opacity so it looks, I guess, more realistic. Take it a step further and make other adjustments to fit your need.

Again, it's hard to figure what look you are going for, but what I imagined it to be is something like a shadow puppet look but the shadow is the footage you have and the puppet is the leaves from the trees? Of course there are easier ways of doing that effect, but without a better idea, I'm just shooting a process at you that might help lead you in the right direction.

Jeff Bonano
http://www.bonanoproductions.com

"I want to have a cool quote at the bottom of my signature, just like everyone else on the cow forum!" -Jeff Bonano

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Suggestions for film projection look
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 3:08:39 pm

Do you mean "the news footage is being projected onto the chopper blades, and onto the streaking light"?

Return to posts index

Brendan BowenRe: Suggestions for film projection look
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:51:44 am

Sorry everyone - I thought this would be a little hard to explain but I'll give it another go:

I already have the news vision that I want to use. Let's stick with the chopper blades as an example. The chopper blades are spinning against a blue sky. I want to have the news vision on the blue sky, behind the chopper blades, and using the blades to give it a flickering film look.

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Suggestions for film projection look
by on Nov 10, 2009 at 4:52:32 pm

[Brendan Bowen] "...I want to have the news vision on the blue sky, behind the chopper blades, and using the blades to give it a flickering film look...."

Here's a question: have you actually put pencil to paper and tried to DRAW what you're seeing in your mind's eye? Who cares if you're a lousy artist? Get things close! Personally, I don't think you've thought this thing out beyond the, "Hey, I've got a great idea!" stage.

I foresee a little editing problem, and a little composition problem.

Here's the editing problem: unless you actually HAVE a helicopter in another shot in the sequence, these blades passing through your proposed shot are going to be more of an annoyance than anything else.

Here's the composition problem: unless you have other things in the shot besides the blue sky, you're simply going to see distorted video with helicopter blades passing through it.
So, then: what ELSE is going to be in the shot?
Stuff on the ground? Your helicopter can't take off.
Tall buildings? You'll need aerial footage. Can you get it?
The helicopter in the air flying among tall buildings? You'll need TWO helicopters.

Do yourself a favor: THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]