ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Posterize motion

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Bocaneanu
Posterize motion
on Nov 4, 2009 at 11:21:25 pm

Hallo all,

I am looking to simulate a radar display in after effects for a promo. The radar display has a plot (the location of the return), histories (last 3-5 locations of the plot) and a label. The position of the plot changes at every refresh which is about 5 seconds. I will do it at .3 seconds for effect.

Here's the problem. The plot and the label needs to "jump" every .3 seconds, not every frame. However I can't use posterize time because the label has additional animation (user interaction) that is in real time. I am looking for something like posterize motion.

I have tried creating a null and creating the motion in that, then create a subcomp with the tag (possition tied to the null) and using posterize motion into that but I still can't animate the tag meanwhile.

Any ideas?
--eric

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: Posterize motion
on Nov 5, 2009 at 5:56:23 am

If I understand you correctly, what you're looking for is the Hold keyframe. Check AE"s Help doc on this.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Eric Bocaneanu
on Nov 6, 2009 at 12:50:00 am

Hallo Roland,

Thanks for answering. This will not help as each keyframe will have to be done by hand. I need to create two keyframes, at the start and at the end of the path, and every 1/3 (or so) seconds the position will refresh to the actual position, the freeze.

--eric

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:39:49 pm

You might also be able to nest a 10 fps comp inside a 29.97 fps comp. Okay, you have to be in NTSC-Land to do it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Bocaneanu
on Nov 6, 2009 at 12:52:11 am

Hallo Dave,

Thanks for answering. This will not work either. This is the same as using Posterize Time. The other elements in the tag need to have 25 frames per second. Only the Position animation needs to be posterized.

--eric

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:48:24 pm

[Eric Bocaneanu] "...only the Position animation needs to be posterized. "

Okay, so use Hold Keyframes to make the animation come close to 25fps. Or an expression that doesn the same thing. Or a third-party frame rate conversion plugin to accomplish what you want.

Grab a calculator, then divide 29.97 by 25 and see how much fun awaits you if you strive to be precise. Or you can come pretty close using the methods above.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Bocaneanu
on Dec 10, 2009 at 12:33:14 am

Hallo Dave,

I still needed the motion inside the moving element to be smooth, but the movement itself to be posterized. Fortunately due to Dan Ebberts I found the fix here in this forum. I need to use this expression on the Position of the element:

posterizeTime(1);

Piece of cake. Now I have another problem I'm trying to fix. Now post for that.
--eric

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]