ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

RAM Previews Very Short

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott BushRAM Previews Very Short
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 5:28:59 pm

More AE weirdness for me...

I am working on a relatively simple animated background... about 10 layers, mostly stroked paths that animate a little bit - SD widescreen, no audio. Nothing crazy. My mac is an 8-core mac pro with 16GB RAM. I have multiprocessing turned on, set to use 6 cores, 2GB per core with the slider in the 'middle' position for speed vs ram preview.

For whatever reason, I can only get 7.5 seconds of ram preview from this comp. No matter what I do - reboot, change settings - only 7.5 seconds. For SD with 16GB ram I should get a lot more than that, right? What am I missing here?

Thanks,
Scott

Return to posts index

Richie TovellRe: RAM Previews Very Short
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 5:52:27 pm

This is just a guess as I'm far from experienced, however I had a similar issue yesterday, it was caused by Nucleo pro, switched off nucleo pro and my preview went back up to the 1 min plus mark.

You could also try increasing your page file size (If you haven't already) to the recommended size, that's twice your amount of ram 32 gig.

Remember to purge your memory between renders also.

Return to posts index

Scott BushRe: RAM Previews Very Short
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 6:04:33 pm

Hi Richie, thanks.

yeah I noticed this with nucleo also, but I don't have it installed anymore. I think paging file is windows only though...

Return to posts index

Kevin CampRe: RAM Previews Very Short
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 8:16:33 pm

if you are working hd, 7 seconds of full res hd is about right... hd frames are big, a 1080 frame is about 6mb, at 30 fps that's about 180mb per second, so 1.26gb for 7 seconds. ae is 32-bit, so the most ram it can use for a single process is 4gb (3gb for a foreground process on osx). ram previews are only a portion of that, about 40%. 40% of 3gb is 1.2gb....

use the resolution/down sampling drop down at the bottom of the preview window to to get longer previews.

to make it easier, you can set the shift-ram preview options to down sample and skip frames to increase preview duration in the time controls panel. so to see longer previews you'd hit shift-zero, to see full quality, or current settings, you'd hit zero.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Todd KoprivaRe: RAM Previews Very Short
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:08:29 pm

Kevin and I are mind-melded, but he types faster. ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:07:31 pm

7.5 seconds x ~30 fps = ~225 frames

Each frame takes a few megabytes. Let's say 6MB/frame (SD-sized layers in a 16-bpc project with some effects like some blurs or glows that expand the frame buffer).

So, ~6MB/frame x ~ 225 frames... That's about 1.5GB.

Now read this page and the comment at the bottom for an explanation of how much RAM is available for the RAM cache (the cache that holds frames for RAM previews).

Having 16GB of RAM in your computer does _not_ give you 16GB of RAM preview. It gives your more RAM available for speedier rendering using Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously multiprocessing.

If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:45:15 pm

Thanks guys for the responses.

I understand all of this... but I'm pretty certain I've gotten more than 7 seconds preview on an SD comp before - something else is happening here, I'm nearly certain.

How does AE handle rendering things that go off-frame? For example, if I have a large stroked circular path with only a small corner of it actually in the frame (so it gives me a perfect curve through the frame), does AE need RAM for all of the circle? Am I using up RAM on elements that fall outside the frame? If so that might explain it as this BG is made up of several of these very large circles where only a small piece actually passes thru the frame. I've made a lossless proxy of the BG so it is not a huge deal, but I'd like to figure this out.

Thanks again for the help.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:52:03 pm

Yes, the size of the layer matters far more than does the size of the composition frame.

Here's a page that explains what makes memory requirements go up.

If you have a 10,000x10,000pixel layer, but it's shown in a 100X100 composition frame, you still have to have enough RAM for a 10,000x10,000 image buffer.

Return to posts index

by on Nov 4, 2009 at 10:05:02 pm

OK that makes sense and would explain this. Whew... thanks guys for helping fix my brain.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]