ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Multi point parenting

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noah Crocker
Multi point parenting
on Nov 3, 2009 at 7:35:23 pm

I have a triangle mask which I want to be linked/parented to several objects

I want one of the points to be linked to a null object (currently representing a motion tracker) and I want the other two points to be linked to two lower corners of a precomp... I currently have the whole object linked to the motion tracking null object so one of the points stays on it, but I don't know how to link the other points to a different object...

Any help appreciated!!!

~Noah E Crocker

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
Re: Multi point parenting
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:38:42 pm

I think you would be able to do this using more null objects. i.e., position new nulls where you want them on your triangle mask and parent them to the triangle or the existing null on the triangle and go from there.

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

Noah Crocker
on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:57:05 pm

I will try this right away...

Return to posts index

Noah Crocker
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:11:48 pm

Don't know what you mean by this... What I would really like to do is almost expand the "path" attribute so I could see each individual point and parent them to the nulls...

Return to posts index

Noah Crocker
on Nov 3, 2009 at 9:19:36 pm

Just to clarify...

I want it to appear that an image is being projected onto a wall. I hope to use a flickering triangle mask to achieve this effect and I need it to be able to move each point individually to match the moving footage...

Sorry for the confusion!

Return to posts index

Eric Woods
on Nov 3, 2009 at 10:50:52 pm

ahh... I think I understand what you are trying to say. Are you trying to get the points themselves to animated, thus changing the shape of the triangle? If that is the case you should be using the puppet tool rather than Nulls alone. If you put a puppet tool pin on the point of each triangle corner, you will be able to animate each point individually and it will change the shape of your triangle. If you are using motion tracking:
Apply the track to a new NULL.
Set an expression for the Pin Point that you would like to be attached to that NULL. ( option click the stopwatch and pick whip to the position attribute of the NULL. )

The point on your triangle should follow the position of the NULL.
**** This technique might result in the lines of your Triangle Bending in either direction. You can fix that by decreasing the amount of triangles in the mesh to as low as possible. If there are any bends in the triangle after that set Stiffness pins to an incredibly high percentage and position them near the bends.

Another work around for this is to use Corner Pin Effect. You can set each of the corners to different tracked Nulls. You can even set two to look at one Null, but you may need to add a -1 or +1 to the end of the expresssion string of one of your Corner Pins. Otherwise you may get wierd results.

EricWoodsFX.com

Return to posts index

Noah Crocker
on Nov 4, 2009 at 12:19:25 am

... No matter what I do, I cannot get this to work.

I forgot to mention that my "projection" layer is a 3d layer...

I am going to continue experimenting with the puppet tool.

Return to posts index

Steve Blacker
on Nov 5, 2009 at 3:17:32 pm

Can you post a screenshot or your project file?

It's only work if you'd rather be doing something else...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]