ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

HI-Resolution Still from Footage????

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha EngelHI-Resolution Still from Footage????
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:34:05 am

Hi Everybody,

I have following problem - I have a road movie, which was shot on the Panasonic DVX100B - Anamorphic WideScreen 720 by 576 Pixels. Now, a Festival wants to put a Screen Shot of the Film on a Poster. My first idea was to ugrade the Res of the Shot with the Red Giant Plug In - Instant HD. Is there any other way to pump up the RES for the Still???

Thanx a lot!

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: HI-Resolution Still from Footage????
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:57:36 pm

You'll first want to check with them on the file specs before going further. You'll want to find out the required DPI and inches of the image they are expecting. Being film organisers, I'm sure they don't expect anything out-of-range for most video formats. Enquire on the DPI, size (in inches) for the output and the file format for delivery.

Also, you may not need anything more than scaling up your image by 100% increments with the layer set to draft quality and rendering that out to get more pixels into your image - thereby increasing your resolution.

You may also want to look at a Photoshop-based solution which has plugins for up-sizing images.

Use the following formula -
DPI x inches = number of pixels
to find out how large your AE-rendered image should be.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Sascha EngelRe: HI-Resolution Still from Footage????
by on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:08:46 am

H,

the size will be 8 on 9 inches and the dpi 300.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: HI-Resolution Still from Footage????
by on Nov 5, 2009 at 4:03:39 pm

[Sascha Engel] "...Anamorphic WideScreen 720 by 576 Pixels. Now, a Festival wants to put a Screen Shot of the Film on a Poster..... the size will be 8 on 9 inches and the dpi 300."

Yipes! You mean you need an image that's 2700 pixels high? Instant HD can help a good bit, but I fear the image is still going to be soft. Personally, I wouldn't expect wonders.

But who knows? Certainly not me -- I have no first-hand experience with Instant HD. Perhaps it can actually work that kind of miracle.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Sascha EngelRe: HI-Resolution Still from Footage????
by on Nov 9, 2009 at 7:08:49 am

Hi Dave,

acutally it did help and it does do a pretty good job, but as you said - it does not provide a miracle.
For poster size it still doesn't bake the cake - but for anybody who has a situation like this - should try - it definately does improve the quality.
Big Up for Red Giant!

Greetz,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: HI-Resolution Still from Footage????
by on Nov 7, 2009 at 5:29:41 am

8x9 inches isn't a video aspect ratio and hence, should be the size of the entire poster. Either you double-check with them or go with the 100% incremental scaling with the layer set to draft quality or look for a Photoshop plugin. I recall a Photoshop plugin that does up-sizing and the compnay offers a fully functional plugin during the trial period. Do a GOogle and you should be well setup for that.

Instant HD is optimized for video/film rez. Your mileage may differ. And Red Giant offers a trial, so you should be too far from discovering if it'll work for you.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]