ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Stroke Effect Reveal Image on Multiple Layers Not Working

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim BrahosStroke Effect Reveal Image on Multiple Layers Not Working
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 6:11:17 pm

I can't find a post that deals with this problem which surpirses me but maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.

Here's my problem: I'm applying a stroke effect to reveal image on multiple layers, but it only seems to work on the first layer I apply it to. These layers have A LOT of masks in them but that doesn't seem to matter, it works fine the first time I try it (no matter which layer) but then it just sits there on the next layer.

I have noticed that the second time I try it, the path pull down box in the effect panel will only let me select 'none' or the last mask in the list, I can't select 'mask 1' or anything in-between, this is only in the effect panel. In the timeline I can select whatever I want. I don't know if this matters because I'm checking the 'All Masks' box but it does seem to be a glitch.

I've tried precomposing each layer, but that doesn't help.
What am I doing wrong?
Surly I'm allowed to use this effect on more than one layer, right?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Eric SandersonRe: Stroke Effect Reveal Image on Multiple Layers Not Working
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 8:24:34 pm

I dont know if i fully understand what your going for but if your just trying to reveal images with strokes have you tried putting the effect on a black solid with white strokes and using that as a luma matte for the images, or if they all reveal the same way at the same time, dragging the stroked layer to the top of your images and do a stencil alpha (or luma)?

Return to posts index

Jim BrahosRe: Stroke Effect Reveal Image on Multiple Layers Not Working
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 8:45:04 pm

It turns out it was just a stubborn glitch. After rebooting several times and just walking away for a while, it works just fine. Applying effects the way the AE Gods intended.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRondeRe: Stroke Effect Reveal Image on Multiple Layers Not Working
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 10:41:28 pm

A layer used as a Track Matte only works the the one layer below it. If you want the same layer to reveal several layers, each layer must have its own identical track matte.

If your layers aren't doing anything in particular, you could put all of them in a precomp, and then use the tracm matte layer with the precomp, and life is good.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric SandersonRe: Stroke Effect Reveal Image on Multiple Layers Not Working
by on Nov 4, 2009 at 7:30:48 pm

A track matte does only work on the one layer underneath but a stencil alpha or luma blending mode will use that layer as a matte for every layer in your comp underneath it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]