ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Podcasts Creative Cloud

Wheel rotation to a smooth stop

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thiago TavaresWheel rotation to a smooth stop
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 7:01:58 am

Ok, so I've got a 3d space with mountains on the background, clouds on the sky, a city skyline, trees close to the road, and the road. the camera movement is simple (horizontally panning), and my car is a 2d layer, with 2 spinning wheels. I've set a keyframe for the wheels at the begining (rotation 0), and another at the end (40x).

The car comes from outside the screen, goes about the other end, and stops (camera stops too).

How do I make the wheels desaccelerate and stop?

I hope I cannot accomplish this due lack of sleep only.

Thanks creativecow members!

Return to posts index

Steve RobertsRe: Wheel rotation to a smooth stop
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 3:06:59 pm

R-click on the last keyframe, select keyframe interpolation>easy ease in. If you want to adjust the deceleration, use the keyframe's graph.

Return to posts index

Thiago TavaresRe: Wheel rotation to a smooth stop
by on Nov 2, 2009 at 5:35:25 pm

Hey, thanks for answering.

Here's the setup, or at least how it was supposed to be:

0s - 0º (zero to full speed)
21s - 40x+1º (full speed to full stop)
26s - 0º (full stop)

I tried what you told me (should have told it before), but the wheel stops smoothly and then starts spinning backwards (counterclock) at full speed, and then stops.

How do I solve this?

Return to posts index

Roland R. KahlenbergRe: Wheel rotation to a smooth stop
by on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:47:59 am

Either you have a misplaced keyframe causing the additional rotation OR instead of moving the Speed Graph, you moved the Value Graph.

Switch the last keyframe to linear and then check. If all is fine, Then select the last keyframe and right-click and pres SHIFT+F9 to change the linear keyframe to an ease-in keyframe. Check again. If all is well then jump into the graph editor and ensure that you are viewing the speed graph, then adjust the graph accordingly to get an even smoother ease-in.

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2016 All Rights Reserved