ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Colorama

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Volz
Colorama
on Nov 1, 2009 at 6:37:11 pm

Hi everyone on Creative Cow

I am new to this forum, although I have used several podcasts of Creative Cow for learning After Effects.

At the moment I am trying to get the design look of the recent FIFA World Cup poster (http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/organisation/media/newsid=643756.html).

I started with a coloured photograph and tried to separate the different channels by the curves effecgt. Then I put the colorama effect on it, but I don't know how to separate the different colours to get exactly that look.
I would be very thankful if anyone has a good advice for me.

Thank you.

Derek

Return to posts index

Mike Park
Re: Colorama
on Nov 2, 2009 at 12:34:15 am

I think you are making it harder than it really is. Just make the picture black and white or posterize it and then add the colors you want over top using solids and use the pen tool to cut out the colored shapes. Maybe I am not understanding what you want, but this would be much simpler than colorama. Colorama takes image input and remaps it to a specific color output. ie greyscale to a color wheel. I don't think you need that effect for the poster look. Are you trying to do this to video?

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 2, 2009 at 3:59:43 am

I agree with Mike that the Colorama effect may be overkill for simple posterization. The Posterize effect may be adequate.

However, if you do decide to try to do this with Colorama effect, be sure to turn off the Interpolate Palette option. If you leave this on, the output colors will change gradually instead of being limited to the discrete colors of a poster.

I really like the Colorama effect, but I find that getting good results from it involves a lot of tweaking of the color stop triangles on the output cycle. Don't count on a preset.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Derek Volz
on Nov 2, 2009 at 10:24:06 pm

Hi Mark

Thank you for your post and your help. I solved the problem with using solids and the pen tool - though this will be hard work in animation. Is there any other option maybe?

Cheers

Sven

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Nov 2, 2009 at 10:49:51 pm

> Is there any other option maybe?

You mean beyond the ones that I suggested?

You should also have a look at the Cartoon effect.

Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

Derek Volz
on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:11:11 pm

Hi everyone

Sorry that I get back to you so late. At the end of the day I want to do an animation out of this.
I tried several things with colorama and it looked nearly like the poster I had attached in my former post.

But for the stills it was much easier to work with solids and the pen tool. I have several football players shot on green screen which I want to put in exactly the look from the World Cup poster. I have also looked on the Cartoon effect, which was quite tricky for this issue. For the first frames I worked with the pen tool (had the real footage transparent to my solids). This works but it is very strenious and takes a lot of tim. This is why I was wondering if there is another possibility, which might be easy to handle.

Best

Derek

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 10, 2009 at 8:51:14 pm

l[Derek Volz] "I have several football players shot on green screen which I want to put in exactly the look from the World Cup poster."

I looked at that poster: the one with the African continent at the bottom that turns into a football player at the top, and he's about to head a football.

Good luck.

You must realize, of course, that this poster was made in something like Illustrator or Photoshop FOR A SINGLE IMAGE. I'm talking about the high-contrast, false-color highlights and NOT the fact that the guy's body has turned into Africa. To recreate it for moving video is going to be almost impossible. The techniques described in this thread are about the best you can do.

About the only thing I can add is this:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AfterEffects/9.0/WS3878526689cb91655866c1103a9d...

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2009 at 10:55:19 pm

I don't think we understand precisely what you're trying to do. Can you describe your project in more detail? Specifically, what are you trying to animate, and what do you want it to look like?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]