ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Maximize Compatibility Photoshop and Image Quality

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Nee
Maximize Compatibility Photoshop and Image Quality
on Oct 30, 2009 at 8:57:59 pm

I cut up a jpeg in Photoshop and placed it on a transparent background, saved it using the "maximize compatibility" option and then brought the psd into AE. In AE the PS image looked considerably worse than the original jpg looked in AE. I resaved the the PS file, this time without max compatibility, brought it into AE and the psd looked fine, just like the original jpg.

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone could explain why maximizing compatibility would upset the image so badly.

Bellow are a few details that may be relevant.

1) The jpg was a scan from printed material, so there is a visible dot pattern.
2) If I simply crop the jpg and save it as a psd it looks fine in AE (same as original jpg)
3) If I duplicate the layer (so that it is no longer the background) and remove the background layer, then save as psd max compatibility, it looks terrible in AE. Also if I crop or select then cut the jpg and drag it into a PS doc with a background I get the same results.
4) If I do the above, but save the psd with max compatibility off, then the image looks fine.

Very curious to hear what others know about this. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Maximize Compatibility Photoshop and Image Quality
on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:31:19 pm

How about forgetting about Photoshop, using the JPEG right in AE, and masking around the portions you don't want?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Aaron Nee
on Oct 30, 2009 at 9:47:55 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dave!

That's certainly a possibility. With this particular image I am cutting it into roughly 100 layers that need to be rearranged into neat rows, which I find easier to do in PS. If I turn off max compatibility the image looks fine, so I think I'll be ok for this particular project.

I am wondering if I need to leave max compatibility off as a general rule, so I don't get into trouble on future projects that involve PS.

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on Oct 31, 2009 at 9:54:49 am

What import options are you using when you import the file into After Effects? As Composition, etc...?

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

Aaron Nee
on Nov 1, 2009 at 4:03:41 am

I've brought it in as a composition. I don't recall if I tried bringing it in as footage. I've also saved the PS image as a png and jpg. In both cases, if the PS file has been previously saved with max compatibility, the image looks awful.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 2, 2009 at 9:57:20 pm

[Aaron Nee] "With this particular image I am cutting it into roughly 100 layers that need to be rearranged into neat rows, which I find easier to do in PS. "

You also might want to look at the Card Dance effect in AE to do the arrangement into rows. It might wave you a good amount of time.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]