ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Splitting Video Based on Content

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Bloemink
Splitting Video Based on Content
on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:00:52 pm

Hey all,

Does anyone know if there is a way to split up a captured video based on the content? (I.E. slate, 3 seconds of black, etc.)

Basically, I have several large (2 hour) clips of music videos that I need to seperate and label. Splitting these up manually is going to be a huge pain and I'm looking for a way to streamline this process- each music video has a 2 second slate at the beginning.

I'm familiar with the Magnum - Edit Detector script in After Effects, but it won't fit my needs.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Adam Bloemink
http://www.lucrativestudios.com

Return to posts index

Joey Burnham
Re: Splitting Video Based on Content
on Oct 30, 2009 at 5:51:09 pm

AE is definitely not the right tool for this. Just bring the material into your NLE of choice. I would think the material isn't just randomly placed about so it shouldn't take that long.
Joey

Return to posts index

Adam Bloemink
on Oct 30, 2009 at 6:01:37 pm

Actually, it is fairly randomly placed. The songs range from 2-5 minutes long, so there's no easy way to just slice them up.

I'm working with 80 two-hour videos too, totaling around 2200 songs. NLE is my last resort.

You're probably right that AE is the wrong program, I just figured that there may be a script or something available.

Perhaps this question would be best suited for another section unless anyone else has suggestions.

Adam

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Oct 30, 2009 at 6:54:50 pm

q[Adam Bloemink] "Perhaps this question would be best suited for another section unless anyone else has suggestions."

You'd better start looking elsewhere! And good luck, too: you'll probably spend more time searching than doing the cut in the first place. The consensus around here is that you need to do this in an editing application. It is THE best way to do it.

Sorry, pal, there's no magic bullet for you! Better get crackin' on that editing. It's not all that tough, either: cut out the slate, scrub through the video, cut out the slate... repeat as necessary. Heck, you can do the cut in less than real running time!

It's just that you're looking for something automatic so you don't have to work at it very long. I'm afraid they still haven't come up with a "Do The Job For Me" plugin.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Adam Bloemink
on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:10:41 pm

Haha, ok.

Thanks for the help anyways.

Return to posts index

Adam Bloemink
on Oct 30, 2009 at 8:32:48 pm

If anyone's interested, here's the work flow I'm using:

1. Import all 80 clips into AE
2. Split each music video manually (Edit > Split Layer, or Apple-Shift-D on Mac)
3. Render layer script (http://www.redefinery.com/ae/view.php?item=rd_RenderLayers)

It's the easiest way I've found so far, this could be just because I'm more of a compositor than editor. There's a fair bit of manually labour involved, but at least I don't have to batch export out of an NLE which would add a lot more work.

It also makes it very easy to demux all of these videos, as a nice bonus for the client would be to have audio-only versions.

Thanks again,

Adam
http://www.lucrativestudios.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]