ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

CS3 mxf File Import Problem/Trouble

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Rudge
CS3 mxf File Import Problem/Trouble
on Oct 30, 2009 at 6:03:10 am

I've been using CS3 for awhile, and every now and then, I'll get a few files that whether I drag-n-drop or use the import function, they will not import. They don't sit and spin, like they're trying, they actually import a different file.

For example, I try to import 0004W0.mxf into PPCS3 and the file that appears is 00241D.mxf. 241 is a file in the same directory, but it is not the same file. I've found by being in an emergency when this happened before that if I add a letter, like make it 0004WOb.mxf, it usually works.

The problem is, that means I have to change the video file, 4 audio files, the clip file, and the icon file. When I don't change one or if I do it wrong, the import does not work. And it's happened on maybe one or two files before and I've got a project that it's happening to almost every file.

27 files in the directory x 7 file names to change each = 189 changes. Ugh!!!

Am I nutz?! It's just so weird.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
Re: CS3 mxf File Import Problem/Trouble
on Oct 30, 2009 at 11:25:48 am

YOu may want to check to ensure that youhave the latest build for PremierePro CS3. You'll also want to source for a freeware/open source file renamer. Most allow you to append a suffix or a prefix to your files.

HTH
RoRK

Sell your AEPs with broadcastGEMs' DVD series of templates. Click here for more

Return to posts index

Mark Rudge
on Nov 1, 2009 at 6:15:30 am

I have the most recent build. It tells me there are currently no updates available.

I've renamed several of the files so I can begin working on this project, but I've found that even renaming them doesn't always work.

Is there something wrong with the clip file? I just don't get why this is happening. Clearly it's getting the wrong info from somewhere, but I can't figure out where.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 1, 2009 at 5:45:47 pm

[Mark Rudge] "Is there something wrong with the clip file? I just don't get why this is happening. Clearly it's getting the wrong info from somewhere, but I can't figure out where."

I've only worked twice with MXF footqage and that was a long while back. It could be a transfer issue from trhe camera. Are you using a supported device to transfer the footage from the camera to your harddisk? You may also try the COW's PremierePro forum for more info.

Good Luck
RoRK

Return to posts index

Mark Rudge
on Nov 1, 2009 at 11:40:01 pm

I use a PCMCIA dock in a laptop usually, but I also have a dedicated PCMCIA drive in my computer that I use.

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:40:34 am

I'm talking about the software used to transfer the files from camera to harddisk. Most cameras will have a dedicated application to do that. Each time a camera stores footage, an in-camera database is engaged - your footage gets stored, named etc. This database engine is in all likelihood proprietary.

When transferring footage out of the camera, a software/driver is required to engage the databaes to ensure that the correct file gets transferred out plus all other metadata.

Like I said, I would check with the camera's manual to look for such an application. Some software developers work with camera manufacturers so that such an application comes bundled with the editing software.

Other than ensuring that the file gets transferred without any hiccups there could be issues with the camera's database.

Good Luck
RoRK

Return to posts index

Mark Rudge
on Nov 3, 2009 at 6:02:10 am

Since the P2 cards store as files, I've just been treating it like a hard-drive and transferring it right onto a hard-drive. I'll sniff around a bit and see what Panasonic suggests, but I know I had to have the P2 drivers in order to install the drive in my tower, so not sure what is going on.

I was really hoping someone had run into this before and knew what was going on. Leave it to me to have a pioneering problem that no one else has had!

Return to posts index

Roland R. Kahlenberg
on Nov 3, 2009 at 1:50:02 pm

At least you know you're on the cutting edge of technlogy. ;-)

Don't forget to try the COW's PremierePro and appropriate Panasonic camera forums.

Good Luck
RoRK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]