ADOBE AFTER EFFECTS: Forum Expressions Tutorials Creative Cloud

Windows 7 and AE, Wait?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Morecroft
Windows 7 and AE, Wait?
on Oct 29, 2009 at 6:28:28 pm

Ok so im basically a freelance novice motion graphics/VFX person thing, i was interning at a small production company and without going into details now im not.
So i had access to pretty top of the line computers to run AE and that of course helped with my learning, but now im on my pathetic single core comp with 2gig of ram.
So guess what its new computer building time!...my wallet is sobbing in the corner, but what i wanted to find out is now that Win7 is officially out in all its majesty, how is it running AE CS3-4 for people?
even outside of work my usual rule of thumb was not to upgrade O.S till at least one SP is out..but as im building a new comp thats gonna be 64 bit, and right now from what i read vista pro or whatever the version above home handles 64bit the best, i'm trying with all my being to avoid vista.

so yeah a really long post to basically ask should i build my comp for AE CS4 with win7 in mind? or give it a little more time?

Return to posts index

Dave Johnson
Re: Windows 7 and AE, Wait?
on Oct 29, 2009 at 8:50:53 pm

I am not an IT guy, but a long-time professional user of many Adobe applications, as well as many other media applications on both platforms so I'll offer my two cents anyway.

As the post below states, it was recently announced that the "next" AE version will definitely be 64-bit and there's plenty of speculation circulating that CS5 will be released within 6-9 months.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/966292

[Tim Morecroft ... should i build my comp for AE CS4 with win7 in mind?]

So, my opinion is no ... build for CS5 with Win7 "in mind", but only in mind. In other words, my view of Win7 (or any other software not tried & true) is that, especially if one is dependent upon computer tools to make a living, stay on technology's cutting edge, but leave the bleeding edge to those who can afford to waste time/money dealing with all the conflicts, bug reports, etc. Then, adopt it once it's solid ... maybe it'll be perfect right out the gate, but then again, no O/S of either platform has ever been thus far so why expect different?

Return to posts index

Joel Mielle
on Oct 30, 2009 at 2:56:47 am

Hey Tim,
I'm currently in the same boat as you, about to build a descent system together. To answer your question, my Brother in law (animator)has been using After FX professionally on 64bit Windows 7 beta for quite sometime now. They all agree that it's the best OS they've had so far. So I have no hesitation in using the latest Windows 7. I will also go for the Xeon quadcore dual CPUs hyper threaded to 16 cores, 12 gig ram. Hopefully that will have enough grunt!

Return to posts index

Todd Kopriva
on Oct 30, 2009 at 7:52:04 pm

> I will also go for the Xeon quadcore dual CPUs hyper threaded to 16 cores, 12 gig ram. Hopefully that will have enough grunt!

Just keep in mind that 12GB is no longer a large amount of RAM. If you're working with large frame sizes, you really want to have 2GB or more (preferably more) per processor core. Even After Effects CS4 does best with 3-4GB per processor core. (See "Memory (RAM) usage and storage" and "CS4 Production Premium on 64-bit operating systems".)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd Kopriva, Adobe Systems Incorporated
putting the 'T' back in 'RTFM' : After Effects Help on the Web
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If a page of After Effects Help answers your question, please consider rating it. If you have a tip, technique, or link to share---or if there is something that you'd like to see added or improved---please leave a comment.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]